This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sending GPS info from OpenPlotter to VHF radio
(2021-07-15, 08:25 PM)Kever Wrote:
(2021-07-09, 03:44 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2021-07-08, 08:04 PM)Kever Wrote: I have taken the device I purchase, JBtek USB to RS485 Converter Adapter ch340T chip, and tested it on my laptop. It locks the cat /dev/ttyUSB0 output till unplugged. This is probably the problem.
I have ordered the following for it's replacement:https://www.amazon.ca/DTECH-RS485-RS422-Serial-Adapter/dp/B06WGQDV7Z

I have the Dtech one working on my system with a Garmin chartplotter and Raymarine Autopilot.  I did have to connect - to + and vice versa though, but I think that will depend on the VHF

Was that specific to send nmea GPS to the VHF radio?

(2021-07-15, 08:42 PM)Kever Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 08:25 PM)Kever Wrote:
(2021-07-09, 03:44 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2021-07-08, 08:04 PM)Kever Wrote: I have taken the device I purchase, JBtek USB to RS485 Converter Adapter ch340T chip, and tested it on my laptop. It locks the cat /dev/ttyUSB0 output till unplugged. This is probably the problem.
I have ordered the following for it's replacement:https://www.amazon.ca/DTECH-RS485-RS422-Serial-Adapter/dp/B06WGQDV7Z

I have the Dtech one working on my system with a Garmin chartplotter and Raymarine Autopilot.  I did have to connect - to + and vice versa though, but I think that will depend on the VHF

Was that specific to send nmea GPS to the VHF radio?
I did the first wiring diagram you posted with negative results. I will try the second one and hop it does the trick.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks so much Techstyle;
That worked!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Kever:
Just wondering how you have made out. I just got back from a week on the boat and am catching up.
One thing I noticed and its probably not applicable but ... the baud rates dont match 38,400 and 4800. I've not got into Pi enough yet to know, but on my windows system I have to match the windows driver setting (device manager) for the gps input to my arduino and to my chartplotter. The NMEA specs say 4800 if I remember right, but my system does work OK at 9600, which is the default for one of my gps.
Richard
SV Zolanda
(2021-07-15, 08:40 PM)Techstyle Wrote: it seems like manufacturers are not specific about polarity on the NMEA0183 connection so try:
PI            VHF
TX(+) --> RX(+)
TX(-) --> RX(-)
RX(+) --> TX(+)
RX(-) --> TX(-)

if that doesn't work, swap the polarity:
PI            VHF
TX(+) --> RX(-)
TX(-) --> RX(+)
RX(+) --> TX(-)
RX(-) --> TX(+)

this worked for me on both a Raymarine autopilot and a Garmin Chartplotter.

After about a week of beating my head against the wall with the PICAN-M HAT on my RPi4, I swapped the polarity per your suggestion and everything suddenly started to work. Interestingly, this is true for anemometer as well as VHF - which makes me wonder whether the board may be mislabeled or it's just general confusion amongst manufacturers. Either way, got it all working - thank you!
(2021-08-28, 04:51 PM)Slovak Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 08:40 PM)Techstyle Wrote: it seems like manufacturers are not specific about polarity on the NMEA0183 connection so try:
PI            VHF
TX(+) --> RX(+)
TX(-) --> RX(-)
RX(+) --> TX(+)
RX(-) --> TX(-)

if that doesn't work, swap the polarity:
PI            VHF
TX(+) --> RX(-)
TX(-) --> RX(+)
RX(+) --> TX(-)
RX(-) --> TX(+)

this worked for me on both a Raymarine autopilot and a Garmin Chartplotter.

After about a week of beating my head against the wall with the PICAN-M HAT on my RPi4, I swapped the polarity per your suggestion and everything suddenly started to work. Interestingly, this is true for anemometer as well as VHF - which makes me wonder whether the board may be mislabeled or it's just general confusion amongst manufacturers. Either way, got it all working - thank you!

No problem, this seems like a common thing which leads me to believe that it is a NMEA0183 vs RS422 issue rather than mislabeling.  My Seatalk 1 Autopilot and my Garmin communicate fine with the same polarity, it is the connection to the Pi (RS422) that is inverted.