This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost License of OESENC MAPS!!!
Hi, maybe you can help me as this is quite a surrealist story.
In April, updating my PI4B to latest OP firmware, kernel, etc, I lost the license of Oesenc maps ( the first one).

It happens to be that if you do any major upgrade in your OP system, you get a new User ID for oesenc and the maps don't work anymore.

I contacted Oesenc people (very kind, by the way) and they explained me that my ID was changed due to the update and that i had lost the license... Fortunately, I still had the second license uninstalled and my maps license hadn't expired yet!´

Following their instructins, i deleted my maps, created a new user for them an did a fresh install of my maps, using my second license.

This week, trying to make my 2 monitors work and the sound back to life ( monitors succeeded, sound still mising after playing around with installation of 2finger click), but what was my surprise that suddenly my maps were no longer valid!!!!! ( I just changed some configurations in Config.txt to allow the PI to detect both monitors and give them their right resolution to each of them.

I contacted again OESENC people, completely unaware, free of any guilt, and what is my surprise when they tell me that my ID has gone back to the first one, so now I lost my second license !!!!!!!!

Angry 

So, now i have to buy a new license (16,5€) and They recommend me to buy USB dongle so no problem with hardware changes,

Any idea if I can make my old maps work again?

Why happens this?

Are you guys aware of this problem? Or am I the most stupid OP user in the world? ( I haven't even sailed with it as I am restoring my boat!!!!!!)

Please help!

I need somebody!

Help!
Shy
if you are back to the old id the old charts should work.
It' just about using the right system id....
I've lost my license once, SD card corrupted a few times... changes to settings etc ... anyhow, you are best to buy the dongle, takes all the headaches away and it's good forever, just resubscribe each year for the maps. You can have as many installs as you want as long as the dongle is plugged in
Personally, I think the dongle should just be included if you don't already have one. would make everyones life easier
(2021-07-09, 02:05 PM)wellenvogel Wrote: if you are back to the old id the old charts should work.
It' just about using the right system id....

But how did I roll back to the old ID? If think I deleted the old maps.

(2021-07-09, 02:09 PM)rastam4n Wrote: I've lost my license once, SD card corrupted a few times... changes to settings etc ... anyhow, you are best to buy the dongle, takes all the headaches away and it's good forever, just resubscribe each year for the maps. You can have as many installs as you want as long as the dongle is plugged in
Personally, I think the dongle should just be included if you don't already have one. would make everyones life easier
Yes, that's what I'll do as it's not reliable at all, not doing anything and I've lost both installs, so quite illogical.

Thanks to everyone for the support!
Another vote for the usb dongle. Think it's the chart suppliers that insist on that level of security, not Ocharts.
(2021-07-09, 04:15 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Another vote for the usb dongle. Think  it's the chart suppliers that insist on that level of security, not Ocharts.

Definitely yes for the usb dongle. 

Right, Ocharts told me that they can't do anything as they can't breach the contract with the maps supplier. 

However, the licensing it's too tricky at least for our beloved unstable open cpn / Openplotter under PI. It's desirable to let people know that this can happen as the feeling is like of a scam (which is not, but the feeling is the same). I did nothing wrong, I didn't change my ID ever, just updated system the first time and the second still don't understand why using modified config.Txt changed my ID to previous one... Misteries of Linux!
For sure the dongle is the best option.
What you could do otherwise is to clone your sd card before making changes - this would at least allow for a fallback.