This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges
(2021-08-30, 01:03 AM)Jay_cd33 Wrote: In the directory;
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openplotterI2c
The file openplotterI2cRead.py needs to be edited. (sudo needed to edit file),

Change line 44 (in the BME280 section)
        import adafruit_bme280

to:
        from adafruit_bme280 import basic as adafruit_bme280

(be aware the from is preceeded by 2 tabs not spaces).

After saving these changes, either restart the openplotter-i2c-read.service or reboot.

Fixed for me, too
Thank you for sharing
- SV Haimana
I have used the work around and I have noticed when the pressure data is passed to OpenCPN the time in the dashboard plug in is not correct. Looks like it picks up the minutes and displays these as hours and the minutes. Makes it hard to see a trend over a period if you don't remember the start time.
Only those who go too far can possibly tell you how far one can go

Our Blog: svmatilda.com
(2021-09-18, 07:33 AM)Matilda Wrote: I have used the work around and I have noticed when the pressure data is passed to OpenCPN the time in the dashboard plug in is not correct. Looks like it picks up the minutes and displays these as hours and the minutes. Makes it hard to see a trend over a period if you don't remember the start time.

Bruce,
I do not believe the work around for the openplotter-i2c-read service has anything to do with how the OpenCPN dashboard displays time stamps.  If you look at the Signalk dashboard the time stamp shown is what the openplotter-i2c-read app is sending to signalk.  I assume the dashboard is getting the data from signalk.  Check your signalk dashboard time to see if it is correct.

Here's a screen shot of my signalk dashboard.  Time stamps are correct for me.

If the time stamps are correct I would investigate how the dashboard gets the time.
Jay
(2021-08-30, 01:03 AM)Jay_cd33 Wrote: Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
So I figured out the problem with not getting BME280 sensor data into SignalK described in my previous posts.

It turns out Adafruit has updated their BME280 python library used in the openplotter i2c app to read sensor data. So new installs download the updated library which breaks the openplotte i2c read app.  The openplotterI2cRead app runs as a service, reads the sensor data and sends it to signalk.  The problem is that the library import in openplotterI2cRead.py is not compatible with the new library.   So the openplotter i2c app sets up the bme280 sensor correctly and configures signalk with a good connection but no data is sent to that connection by the openplotterI2cRead app.

So Sailoog needs to correct the BME280 library import call in a future release.   For those that are willing to hack the changes necessary to make it work here is what I did...

In the directory;

import adafruit_bme280

to:

After saving these changes, either restart the openplotter-i2c-read.service or reboot.

That fixed the problem for me.   I hope this helps others.  
I'm not a coder so Sailoog will probably have a proper fix in a future release.

Hi Jay_cd33,
Thank you for finding a solution to this issue. I hae spent three days on this! Now working fine :-)
So I figured out the problem with not getting BME280 sensor data into SignalK described in my previous posts.

It turns out Adafruit has updated their BME280 python library used in the openplotter i2c app to read sensor data. So new installs download the updated library which breaks the openplotte i2c read app.  The openplotterI2cRead app runs as a service, reads the sensor data and sends it to signalk.  The problem is that the library import in openplotterI2cRead.py is not compatible with the new library.   So the openplotter i2c app sets up the bme280 sensor correctly and configures signalk with a good connection but no data is sent to that connection by the openplotterI2cRead app.

So Sailoog needs to correct the BME280 library import call in a future release.   For those that are willing to hack the changes necessary to make it work here is what I did...

In the directory;

import adafruit_bme280

to:

Thank you, Thank you. That worked! I submitted PR#6 (Pull Request #6 for openplotter-i2c), just needs to be approved then merged. I would encourage you to do the same in the future when you solve a problem, it helps everyone else down the line! When I was experimenting with the TTGO LoRa32 OLED Board version 1, it was not supported for Arduino development so I sent email to LilyGo to request they fix it. Well, it never happened. So I researched variants in Arduino and how to do a PullRequest on GitHub and did my own, now other people can use that board. This is a very helpful article on how to do pull requests: How to create a pull request in GitHub.
Also, the way you solved this problem and looking at the time you posted the fix, you are a coder! Smile
(2022-01-29, 10:52 PM)CaptIgmu Wrote:

In the directory;

import adafruit_bme280

to:

Thank you, Thank you. That worked! I submitted PR#6 (Pull Request #6 for openplotter-i2c), just needs to be approved then merged. I would encourage you to do the same in the future when you solve a problem, it helps everyone else down the line! When I was experimenting with the TTGO LoRa32 OLED Board version 1, it was not supported for Arduino development so I sent email to LilyGo to request they fix it. Well, it never happened. So I researched variants in Arduino and how to do a PullRequest on GitHub and did my own, now other people can use that board. This is a very helpful article on how to do pull requests: How to create a pull request in GitHub.
Also, the way you solved this problem and looking at the time you posted the fix, you are a coder! Smile

Thank you for the kind words and for doing the pull request.   You are exactly correct about me not knowing how to do a pull request on GitHub.  Thanks for the "How to" link.
Jay
Guys and girls,

Iam new with openplotter and raspberyy and linux. And i have the some problem as jay_cd33.

I get the pypilot data with no problem but i cant see in signal K the temp, hum and pressure.

I chanced the file to "from adafruit_bme280 import basic as adafruit_bme280" but still the same problem.

Any idea's?
hi all,

Iam new with openplotter and raspberry an dhave the same problem as jay_cd33.

i changed row 44 but no luck.

i received the dat in sgnal k from the same sensor with compas till etc but no data from tmp, hum and bar.

can anybody help me?
Thanks Jay, this solved my problem as well.

Cheers
hi all,

still having the same issues. I bought a clean new BME 280 installed it on the Ic2 

fixed row 44 reboot but still no sensor on signal K getting a reconnect undefiend 5100 messages

PLease please can someone help me?

kind regards

renze

Attached Files Image(s)