This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS connection fails when enabling PyPilot
Hi there.

I'm new here so please bear with me - I'm not deliberately breaking any rules - and the documentation has some caveats.

My setup:
Raspberry Pi 3B
OpenPlotter 2
U-Blox AG [u-blox 7] connected through USB. Serial connection has ttyOP_gps alias. 
IMU on I2C.
Pressure, temp, small OLED on I2C.
USB-TTL serial devices for external NMEA0183 data.

When running PyPilot (2.1.1-beta) in "Only compass"-mode everything is fine.
I have GPS data, heading etc. in SignalK.

As I'm trying to get PyPilot to run I set PyPilot to "Autopilot"-mode but as soon as I restart SignalK I have lost GPS-data.
This is the case whether I connect the PyPilot Arduino, set up the serial for it or not.
The SignalK dashboard gives me an error: "Error: Device or resource busy, cannot open /dev/ttyOP_gps".

No matter what I do I cannot make GPS and PyPilot (as Autopilot) co-exist.

If I reset the PyPilot back to "Only compass" and restart SignalK (sometimes twice is needed) everything is back to normal.

Am I missing something here?
Why is PyPilot messing with my GPS device?

Any help is appreciated.
Well... found a solution.
Was looking through the pypilot code last night and found two possible ways to go; either blacklist the device or use gpsd instead of accessing the device directly.
The blacklisting did not seem to work as expected but going through gpsd worked like a charm.

Got it running now Wink