This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New wind sensor - Pypilot + Davis
Digging up an old thread here. Did you ever solve the problem of how to mount the Davis on your mast? I need to do the same thing soon, so a picture would really help!
Hey there, I went through a few options. At first I made a couple designs, hoping that I could get those done in steel/aluminum but it was incredibly expensive (>150€, more than the sensor itself).

Then I thought I could get those 3d printed which I assumed i would be cheaper, but I lack knowledge on the field and I was overwhelmed with the amount of diferents resins to chose. Also, it wasn't that cheap.

So I finally decided to build it myself out of fiberglass and epoxy. It's ugly as f*** but it was the easiest and by far cheapest option and noone sees it on the top of the mast. It should be resistant enough too. Ignore the piece of plywood on the bottom, it was just a to fix misdesign on my side (I'm too new at all this).

why not something like this:

[Image: 6535s-web.jpg]

Using the mounting base that comes with the anemometer:

[Image: 6163-overzicht-display.jpg]
I thought about that too, but I don't really remember why I discarded that option. But it definetly seems like the best options in terms of price and ease of isntallation.
It could be a problem putting together aluminum and stainless steel. Maybe some plastic gaskets and aluminum screws could help with that.
Thanks for all the ideas, my mast comes down next week, so I'll be running through the options then.
Hi all, I want give a small feedback concerning the Davis anemometer used with Sean's display on OpenPlotter 3 operating a Raspberry 3B+. During my first trials I got some disconnections after an erratic time. I have bought a powered USB hub (with 12 v inlet) and I don't get disconnection during my last trial. So even if I don't get any low voltage warning on the OpenPlotter Raspi, the wind sensor was probably under-powered. To be noticed, I previously try to operate with the hub not powered and I got a disconnection.
(2023-04-29, 11:01 PM)Erickalon Wrote: Hi all, I want give a small feedback concerning the Davis anemometer used with Sean's display on OpenPlotter 3 operating a Raspberry 3B+. During my first trials I got some disconnections after an erratic time. I have bought a powered USB hub (with 12 v inlet) and I don't get disconnection during my last trial. So even if I don't get any low voltage warning on the OpenPlotter Raspi, the wind sensor was probably under-powered. To be noticed, I previously try to operate with the hub not powered and I got a disconnection.

It seems that is a bug in the USB driver. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
Hi Sailoog, thanks for this information, my second test has not been so successful so I am glad to learn that a correction will come soon.
I do not know if it will be fixed soon, I hope so...
This bug is only in Raspberry OS 64bit, 32bit works OK