This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New wind sensor - Pypilot + Davis
Hello everyone,

This thread aims to be a place to share with other people who decide to install this setup. It's also a follow up from this one: Choose a wind sensor

So I decided to buy Pypilot store wind sensor with display and Davis anemometer to install on top of the mast.

First, a quick note if you buy from outside of USA (or at least from Spain): you can get some delays in the delivery and have to pay customs taxes.

I would like to say that installation was plug&play, but actually the first 2 usb cables I tried caused the screen to blink. Feel like some power issue? Not sure, but with the 3rd one I tried it worked perfectly fine.

After that, played a bit with the touch buttons to see what they do, plugged in the anemomenter, and that's all there is about it: it works.

In open plotter, I added the usb connection in the Serial application, created the SignalK connection (4800 baud), and that's it. At this point, if you haven't already, is a good idea to install and configure derived-data addon to get TWS and TWA.

-------

That being said, I have a question: I noticed there is a certain angle bias (around 8º to starboard) on the apparend wind angle. I installed the calibration SignalK addon, but I don't understand how to add a "-8º" offset to all readings. Is it possible to do it? 

Another thing on which I would like your input is on how to install it in the mast. Since the anemomenter comes with a support which is meant to be installed vertically in a pole or wall, I have no clue how to install it. I've thought about installing the support horizontally and bending the anemomenter arm to match the angle, but I don't know if you can think of better solutions. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
I shut down the Rpi duting the night, and this morning when I turned it on, I can get any reading in SignalK. The connection appears, but with the message "Error Resource temporarily unavailable Cannot lock port". I've tried unplug/plug the usb, use a different port, remove/readd SignalK connection, remove/readd serial device, but no luck.

I should point out that the display in the windsensor does display data, but if I "cat dev/ttyOP_windsens", i get an unreadable stream:

9��̙H����/)9��̙H����/)9��̙H����/)9��̙H����/)9��̙H����/)9��̙H����/)9��̙H;���/)9��̙H:���/)

I was expecting to see NMEA0183 sentences, but maybe this is normal? I also don't know if the "cannot lock port" thing is related :S

When checking who is using the device to try to understand why it can't be used by SignalK, I get this:

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo lsof /dev/ttyOP_windsens
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
      Output information may be incomplete.
COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
node    3320   pi   40uW  CHR  188,0      0t0  392 /dev/ttyUSB0

I don't know if it's normal or not

Some help please?  Big Grin
try:

stty -F /dev/ttyOP_windsens

Ensure it is 38400 baud. Eg:

stty -F /dev/ttyOP_windsens 38400
Tried, this is what i got:

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ stty -F /dev/ttyOP_windsens
speed 19200 baud; line = 0;
min = 1; time = 0;
-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost -onlcr
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke
pi@openplotter:~ $ stty -F /dev/ttyOP_windsens 38400
pi@openplotter:~ $ stty -F /dev/ttyOP_windsens 19200
pi@openplotter:~ $ 

Tried (wild guessing) to change SignalK connection to 4800/19200/38400 baud, with same result.
38400 is the correct baud

19200 will give garbage output
- Removed all serial devices and SignalK connections (except moitessier) 
- Added wind sensor again, as NMEA0183 output, and a SignalK connection at 38400 baud.

The stream looks like this:

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ cat /dev/ttyOP_windsens

��/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�
/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�
/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙�/ZyLII*-��̙��)YI����������̊ę��Y��

After running the command to ensure 38400, output looks much better:

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ stty -F /dev/ttyOP_windsens 38400
pi@openplotter:~ $ cat /dev/ttyOP_windsens
$ARMWV,21.75,R,0.00,N,A*1f

But even at this stage, SignalK keeps showing the error: "7/28/2021, 12:59:43 PM: Error Resource temporarily unavailable Cannot lock port"

I must add that after restarting SignalK, the output is wrong again, even if I can clearly see that 38400 is the baud rate selected. Huh Huh
It seems something is setting the baud rate at 19200, but i have no clue what or how. This is after SignalK restart:

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ stty -F /dev/ttyOP_windsens
speed 19200 baud; line = 0;
min = 1; time = 0;
-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost -onlcr
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke
Just in case i'm missing something, some screenshots:

Let me know if there's more data I can provide, I don't know what else to do.
This is a signalk bug not a pypilot bug.

The alternate would be to assign the port to pypilot instead of signalk. Pypilot will then relay the nmea wind data over tcp port 20220 and also translate to signalk once the access request for read/write access is granted.
The workaround certainly helped, thanks!

I will keep digging on what's wrong with SignalK.
(2021-07-29, 08:00 AM)MigGat Wrote: The workaround certainly helped, thanks!

I will keep digging on what's wrong with SignalK.

Was this issue fixed with signalK?