This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterproof autopilot
Motor driver turned up today so thinking more now about the mechanical side of things. I've a steel boat so welding on lugs etc to bolt to is easy. Thinking so far is have a motor mounted in the lazarette and somehow get that to move the tiller. With no water at all getting in...
But how.. Maybe an axle through the deck through seals onto a timing belt pulley.. Or....
How do you do the mechanical side of things?
There's a way out there, just need to find it   Smile
if you have wheel steering, the suggested route is to use a windshield wiper motor, or even car power steering motor (even stronger) and use a toothed belt to turn the wheel.

For tillers, it is suggested to use either a pulley system:
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....makermotor

I am assuming your boat is too heavy for the cheap linear actuators used on many tiller systems.
Ta, 10t steel tiller steered boat, so actuator could work, though would be so much nicer with the motor dry in the lazarette, the pulley system I think could be the way to go with a seal/bearing mounted on the deck to get the axle from the motor below up onto the deck. Anyone know what revs/torque a standard wiper motor might have? Data is a bit sparse online.
Thnx
typically the rpm is about 60. The torque can vary based on load, but the more you load it down the less the efficiency.

The torque is 10-20 Nm depending on the motor or 5-10 ft/lb varies by motor but it is best to utilize a fraction of this if possible