This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinypilot access-point mode vs non-access-point mode
I have a wireless router providing a LAN that's working quite well for some other functions (like providing AIS data from my VHF which OpenCPN can then use). That means I want my display (a Samsung tablet) connected to that wireless router (192.171.X.Y) in general. 

Then again, to make OpenCPN talk to the tinypilot (or even to control the tinypilot from the web interface), I need at present to be connected to the wireless network called "pypilot" (192.168.14.1, I think...) Constantly switching wireless networks is a bit of a pain, and the fact that I can configure (through the "front panel" of the tinypilot and the infrared clicker) the network to be something different seems as if it might be promising. 

I'd like to tell the tinypilot that on startup, it should search for a network called Boat2 (or that has an IP address of 192.171.255.X or something like that), and if it doesn't find that, it should fall back to the usual "access point" form, so that I can still reach it even if the boat's LAN is turned off, or fails for some reason. 

From what I've read, I gather that I can at least set it up to try to join my network, but that when it does so, it may end up with a random address in the 192.171.255.X range; that makes it hard to use with OpenCPN. Is there a way to say "connect to that network, using this fixed IP address"? 

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Messages In This Thread
Tinypilot access-point mode vs non-access-point mode - by jfhext - 2021-08-08, 02:39 PM