This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinypilot access-point mode vs non-access-point mode
(2021-08-09, 03:54 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Well it is a problem because what if the normal access point comes back up again?  Like when the access point resets you would have to then reset the tinypilot!   If I changed the behavior I think more people would complain, but it could be a separate option to switch to access point if it cannot connect.

If you start TP, and nothing works for you because it's not on the network, you're probably going to go turn on your router (or whatever else is needed), at which point restarting TP should be pretty simple. With the proposed "make the access point show up after a brief attempt" thing, at least you have some hope of using the TP from your phone or other tool. 

Here's a possibility that's low-cost for both kinds of users: have a "how-long-before-switching-to-access-point" persistent datum. A value of "0" indicates "never switch from client mode to access-point-mode"; other values are in seconds, so "30" means "try to connect to my favorite network for 30 seconds, but then give up and start the access-point."

To keep the behavior unsurprising for current users, you can make this default to "0". 

Then again, you may want to reduce the number of possible parameters, and I'd certainly understand that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tinypilot access-point mode vs non-access-point mode - by jfhext - 2021-08-09, 09:25 PM