This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controlling wheel with belt or chain - how to disconnect?
Hi! I've been reading everything I can find about Pypilot setups and I've settled on a belt or chain drive on my wheel (single position hydraulic steering)
One thing I haven't found though is how people are disconnecting the motor when autopilot is off. Since I only have the one steering position I need to be able to take manual control quickly and reliably.
Anyone have any insight here? I haven't had any experience with commercial wheel drive systems, how do they do it? Some sort of clutch mechanism, or maybe a lever to remove tension from the belt?
A few ways (none of them perfect)

1) if steering wheel is hydraulic there can be multiple wheels, so one can be autopilot
2) remove belt from wheel, this can be from motor swinging and locking in place
3) clutch in wheel which tightens belt by moving tension pulleys into place (autohelm style) This is really pretty terrible and adds a lot of friction
4) pin through wheel to steering wheel shaft. This can only engage in one position
5) electric clutch on motor. you would still be backdriving the belt/chain manually although without too much friction.

Probably #2 is best option but it cannot always immediately release. Let us know what you decide or if you have other ideas.
I suppose the best option would be to try to build an actual hydraulic autopilot system, and install it with T-fittings. This would be the most reliable and user-friendly option, but also the most expensive if I need to buy a commercial hydraulic autopilot pump, not good if I want to do this on a budget. Is there any kind of "generic" 12v hydraulic pump that could work?

Another option could be to build a simple tiller autopilot, and make a manual bypass between the hydraulic lines. I'm not sure how much resistance it would encounter pushing hydraulic fluid through 20 meters of hose (I'd mount the bypass near the wheel if a manual valve) in addition to regular rudder forces, but it should be doable.

Edit: I guess that option wouldn't work, as I'd still need a way to disconnect the tiller autopilot.
I think you can get cheap hydraulic pumps like for forklifts etc... but they may rust, but you could coat them with grease.

Anyway, hydraulic systems do work, there are bypass valves to allow the fluid to to move easily and there is more than one way to do all of this. It can be quite complex depending on how many steering wheels, if you have a pump etc, and some valves have 3 positions, such as manual steering or autopilot, manual steering with feedback (autopilot would spin wheel), and emergency tiller (full bypass)

I can't give too many specifics as I constantly hear about different hydraulic systems that surprise me. There are many ways to arrange it. Hydraulic maybe is not the best option, after all, it is complex/expensive and less efficient.

You can see there are many ways to use electricity to move a boat rudder and you can find all kinds of kits for this online. I can barely supply the electronics from my small living space as it is, there is just no viable way for me to deal with mechanical units at this time.
(2021-08-25, 06:39 PM)code- Wrote: Anyone have any insight here? I haven't had any experience with commercial wheel drive systems, how do they do it? Some sort of clutch mechanism, or maybe a lever to remove tension from the belt?

I have an old Benmar/Cetek course setter chain drive.  I had 2, but am using one for my chain driven wheel system.  They are not as stingy with power as a window wiper motor, but they do have a mechanical or solenoid clutch built in.  I just wired mine up to the Pypilot. Boom!!!  Plug &Play instant satisfaction worked perfect.  Google it.  I’ll see if I can dig the 2nd one out when I get back to the boat and take pics.  EBay has some of these too.