This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My bright idea…
Greetings every one. 

I have wabasto heater run by a simple thermostat in the captains quarters. My wife loves it because it’s simple to adjust and operate. For me, it’s just too low tech and I have an idea about how it should be run.

I want to drop a 12v Shelly puck to be the relay for the heater and use the Ruuvi tags I have installed as temperature monitors. I’d use Scott Benders shelly plug in and SignalK (and probably node red) to manage temperature thresholds to run the heater. Easy enough, except that my wife won’t like it. In our house, she loved our Nest thermostat, so she can use technology. My issue is I’d need to set up some sort of simple interface for her “hands on” approach - perhaps through homebridge. 

I have access to a raspberry pi 3 with a touchscreen that I could use to replace the existing old thermostat with one of the many Pi Thermstat apps. That would have the benefit of adding some additional information, like weather and forecast for her, using something like magic mirror. The problem is the disconnect between the data in signalk and a thermostat app and/or magic mirror.

I’m pretty good at assembling, tweaking, and making things work, but I’m not much of a direct hands-on programmer.

Anyone have any ideas?
You can not control a heater like Webasto by controlling its input power. More specifically you can not just turn it off at will, it needs to cool down before shutting off.
(2021-09-16, 05:44 AM)tkurki Wrote: You can not control a heater like Webasto by controlling its input power. More specifically you can not just turn it off at will, it needs to cool down before shutting off.

Thanks for the reply. You are correct. I’m not attempting to power down the unit. Mine is wired with this thermostat https://www.suremarineservice.com/Heat/H...Black.html. It is really just a simple Mercury switch. I should be able to replace that and program a profile with a minimum run time, etc. based on temperature from my Ruuvitags in SK.

Steve