This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Web-based autopilot route
Not sure about galadriel map, but pypilot expects only nmea0183 APB messages. It can also "in theory" accept steering.autopilot.target.headingTrue from signalk, however this is not tested or proven.

I do know avnav recently fixed a minor bug to correct the APB output, and opencpn has supported APB long before pypilot. I don't have any information about other plotters, but would love to confirm they have been tried.
By the way...
The GaladrielMap Dashboard has a course alarm with indicating a deviation from true. If develop a following by route - it will be a hand pilot.
I mainly sail by sail, trying to make good use of the shifts in the wind and the more windy areas. So I can't really imagine one day introducing a route in Pypilot. The command interfaces imagined by Sean seem excellent to me with the WEB server, the OpenCpn plugin and the RF remote control.

But Jamos is right that sometimes it is difficult to do certain things with a tablet and wet fingers. For example, I have optimized two quite different BASIC and SIMPLE tuning sets for my boat. I like to switch from one to the other while sailing. But if you have to stay in the cockpit, it's sometimes quite difficult to switch from one setting to another with the tablet. The buttons for changing the setting clearance are very small and very close.

But I think that in my case, the solution would rather be new functions to be associated with the buttons of the RF remote control in order to switch more easily from one setting set to another. Additionally, a third usable tuning set would be fabulous as I currently only manage to use two separate tuning sets.
(2021-10-31, 05:48 PM)Jean-Marc Douroux Wrote: I mainly sail by sail, trying to make good use of the shifts in the wind and the more windy areas. So I can't really imagine one day introducing a route in Pypilot. The command interfaces imagined by Sean seem excellent to me with the WEB server, the OpenCpn plugin and the RF remote control.

But Jamos is right that sometimes it is difficult to do certain things with a tablet and wet fingers. For example, I have optimized two quite different BASIC and SIMPLE tuning sets for my boat. I like to switch from one to the other while sailing. But if you have to stay in the cockpit, it's sometimes quite difficult to switch from one setting to another with the tablet. The buttons for changing the setting clearance are very small and very close.

But I think that in my case, the solution would rather be new functions to be associated with the buttons of the RF remote control in order to switch more easily from one setting set to another. Additionally, a third usable tuning set would be fabulous as I currently only manage to use two separate tuning sets.

Could you give more details about your settings and usage?

The simple pilot is more for a demo implementation in minimal form to study the system...   The next release will have several more pilot algorithms, but each are quite different.

What it sounds like you want is multiple "basic" pilots which is completely possible as well just not implemented.

It is also certainly possible to create a command to change pilot.   It is possible to change the pilot from the rf remote already using the menu interface, but I think you mean a specific button would switch the pilot to a certain pilot.   I will try to implement that.
(2021-11-01, 02:28 AM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2021-10-31, 05:48 PM)Jean-Marc Douroux Wrote: I mainly sail by sail, trying to make good use of the shifts in the wind and the more windy areas. So I can't really imagine one day introducing a route in Pypilot. The command interfaces imagined by Sean seem excellent to me with the WEB server, the OpenCpn plugin and the RF remote control.

Could you give more details about your settings and usage?

The simple pilot is more for a demo implementation in minimal form to study the system...   The next release will have several more pilot algorithms, but each are quite different.

What it sounds like you want is multiple "basic" pilots which is completely possible as well just not implemented.

It is also certainly possible to create a command to change pilot.   It is possible to change the pilot from the rf remote already using the menu interface, but I think you mean a specific button would switch the pilot to a certain pilot.   I will try to implement that.

Hi Sean

The simple adjustment set allows me to consume less and is very suitable for certain periods. My second set of settings makes it possible to anticipate the movements of the bar much more, but consumes a lot more.

It would indeed be great to be able to switch easily from one to the other without a tablet or opencpn.

As for my waterproof 4 button remotes, they have been working great since I sprayed TALAMEX WP100 inside.
I have never had a loss of connection on my 9m boat even when I am in front of the mast. The batteries last a very long time.

A thousand times thank you for this great pilot.
I will look into the spray you used. I have developed remotes with better range using aaa batteries and probably lasts for 10 years.

Anyway, I just implemented the ability to change the pilot from the remote control today. You may consider getting the 8 button remote though.
(2021-11-02, 08:30 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I will look into the spray you used.   I have developed remotes with better range using aaa batteries and probably lasts for 10 years.

Anyway,   I just implemented the ability to change the pilot from the remote control today.   You may consider getting the 8 button remote though.

Thanks Sean for the possibility to change the pilot with remote.

To have 8 buttons I made a 3D part which makes it easier to grip and uses two waterproof 4 button remotes. The 3D file is accessible with the attached below

https://www.thingiverse.com/j-marcmarseille/designs