This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
pypilot stopped keeping course.
(2021-09-23, 08:12 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: What is immediately obvious is a very low P gain of .0018.   I would increase this to .0035 or .004 and see if performance improves.   The default is .003.    

The D gain is a bit high at .16, but if you need .16 to hold a straight course, then ok.  set P to .004 or .005 even.   The D and DD gains are what keep the boat going straight, and the P and I gains are what correct the course error...  sort of.

Another setting to modify is servo.speed.min.   It is set to 50, which will be quiet but may react slower.   If you can increase this to 80 you may see improved performance.

You have also changed the servo.period to 0.22 which is normally low.   It will make short corrections but overall may not be better than the default of 0.4    It really depends on the boat and you will have to experiment, but preferably change to 0.4 after you fix the gains and then change one setting at a time and compare the results.
Thanks Sean

I'll try your suggestions
The reason for the servo.speed.min and servo.period  is my drive is very overkill hydraulic drive and wanted to make smaller corrections in light conditions.

I did save the initial pypilot.conf and I think I'll try if it still has issues as ironman suggests.

Next issue is want to resolve asap but need to pull out boat soon and light wind days this time of year are rare.

Messages In This Thread
pypilot stopped keeping course. - by johnm - 2021-09-20, 03:53 PM
RE: pypilot stopped keeping cource. - by johnm - 2021-09-22, 01:56 PM
RE: pypilot stopped keeping cource. - by johnm - 2021-09-22, 10:39 PM
RE: pypilot stopped keeping cource. - by johnm - 2021-09-23, 02:48 PM
RE: pypilot stopped keeping cource. - by johnm - 2021-11-02, 10:46 PM
RE: pypilot stopped keeping cource. - by ironman - 2021-09-23, 09:37 AM