This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS issue
Hi everyone
I am setting up open plotter v.2 in my Rpi 3+.All was fine with open CPN  and Pypilot .But when I went for AIS following " reads the docs" fails.
I want to receive data with a RTL2832u usb device.
I calibrate it rigorously and obtain 52 ppm.I get a antenna calibrated to 162 Mhz  and proved it in  laptop with window 7, using Open CPN plugin and rtl_ais program, and works fine.
But when I go back to the Rpi and follow the steps, the conection in signal K exits(UDP:10110),the conection in Open CPN exits(SignalK:3000) ,in SDR VHF process AIS is in green,  active , running, but I can´t see anything in Open CPN.
I can´t found where the mistake is , can you help me?
Thanks in advance
Gustavo
I do know the data from vessels isn't always consistent, and I from time to time I have had to wait 5-10 minutes before I have picked up any vessels, this is especially true when vessels are at anchor.  If you feel the problem is with OpenCPN then open up your browser and try http://localhost:3000/@signalk/freeboard-sk/  I can see vessels here so if you have vessels in freeboard but you don't see any in OpenCPN you know where to try next. 

I don't know what your using for an antenna but from my experience with my own SDR the antenna and cable was the most important piece of the kit after the receiver, I went from getting one vessel 200 metres away to getting dozens up to 40 Nm with a good antenna. 

Good luck
Only those who go too far can possibly tell you how far one can go

Our Blog: svmatilda.com
Thanks for your reply.I have a slim Jim antenna calibrated for 162 MH.I will try with the browser.