This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set up Pypilot?
Dear people.  

First of all.  Thank you computer and boat enthusiast's for making these wonderful open source programs. You make the world a better place. 

My autopilot broke down and I need something temporary to steer my boat to a place where I can order a new unit here in Indonesia without paying 50% duty's. Batam is the place to go. 

I have a few questions. 

-Can Pypilot function as a autopilot in combination with my windows 7 laptop? I also have a Samsung andriod telephone. 

I still have the hydroulik reversible steering drive with relays that worked on my ap. I don't know how much volt those relays need but probably 5 volt or a bit less will do. 

I also have my rudder feedback unit. 

I suppose I need imput to Pypilot from the rudder feedback? And can I go without physical compass?  Otherwise that's another input. 
I suppose it can just use the gps that I also use for opencpn.

-My laptop has USB, HDMI and a network connection,  like those little plastic telefoon klickinn connectors with 8pins.
Can I use one of those sockets?

If yes,  what kind of hardware do I need? a cable and some short of converter probably. 

If not,  what kind of hardware and socket dó I need? 

And how to set all up in general, hardwarewise.

I am in a remote place on my way to Batam and it would be fantastic if I can get a ap to run here.
A shame I did not find out about this in Bali because I did 900nm of handsteering and still 300 to go.

Thank you very much. Marco.
(2021-10-04, 03:29 PM)Marco Wrote: -Can Pypilot function as a autopilot in combination with my windows 7 laptop? I also have a Samsung andriod telephone. 
It can run on many platforms because it is very portable, however it needs inertial sensors, and android has not been tried.
Quote:I still have the hydroulik reversible steering drive with relays that worked on my ap. I don't know how much volt those relays need but probably 5 volt or a bit less will do. 

I also have my rudder feedback unit. 

I suppose I need imput to Pypilot from the rudder feedback? And can I go without physical compass?  Otherwise that's another input. 
Generally a motor controller is needed to power the motor (or relays) as well as receive from optional rudder feedback.

As for going without a compass, it is generally required. The compass compensates the slow updates and noise in gps. The next release will have options to not use compass, but still gyros are required, so you still need inertial sensors.
Quote:I suppose it can just use the gps that I also use for opencpn.
Yes, you can output gps from opencpn into pypilot with a tcp connection.
Quote:-My laptop has USB, HDMI and a network connection,  like those little plastic telefoon klickinn connectors with 8pins.
Can I use one of those sockets?
Not unless you did some hacking. It's not supported currently.
Quote:If yes,  what kind of hardware do I need? a cable and some short of converter probably. 

If not,  what kind of hardware and socket dó I need? 

And how to set all up in general, hardwarewise.
Generally an autopilot computer and motor controller. The autopilot computer is usually a raspberry pi, and the motor controller is arduino based. See:
https://pypilot.org/wiki

It is not that other options are no possible, just not esily supported. The reason is, a lot of work for something with inferior performance. Under linux the critical processes have realtime priority to minimize time from sensor to moving the rudder. This is why receiving gyro inputs over the network is not supported either.

Due to the open nature of pypilot you could adapt it to many circumstances, but it is best you get a raspberry pi and icm20948.
Quote:I am in a remote place on my way to Batam and it would be fantastic if I can get a ap to run here.
A shame I did not find out about this in Bali because I did 900nm of handsteering and still 300 to go.
At least use elastic and set a small steering sail? Maybe not as fast but better than hand steering.
Good morning Sean. So this is not a quick fix for now.
Thank you very much for your information. And keep up the good work.