This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could you help me setup a WIFI USB dongle?
Hi everybody,
I am trying to run Pypilot on a Raspberry PI B+ V1 which has no embedded WIFI chip, so I am trying to use this USB WIFI dongle instead: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/downl...wn725n/v3/

At least Linux is supported, however in the installation guide for Linux provided https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201812/2...0Linux.pdf PiCore is not listed and the last driver version goes up to Kernel version 4.4.3 whereas the current piCore kernel is 4.9.22...anyways this is what I did so far:
- I tried to plug the WIFI dongle and start the raspberry and prayed...but nothing happened...
- I downloaded the driver zip file from tp-link website on my computer and unzipped it
- I tried to compile a driver on my computer (Unbuntu 18.04.4 LTS) but after several errors the MAKE command failed to generate a driver
- from my computer i ssh the raspberry which is connected to my internet router via ethernet cable (192.168.1.93 address)

lsusb command returns:

Code:
tc@box:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8179

and...I really do not know what to do next, so any idea is welcome! (buying a new raspberry Pi is probably the most sensible option but I am a bit stubborn i reckon)

Kind regards
Are you trying to run this on picore? The driver works on other distributions?
(2021-10-06, 02:01 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Are you trying to run this on picore?   The driver works on other distributions?

Hello Sean,
yes on piCore, in the installation guide they say the driver works on Ubuntu 16.04, Mint 18.3, Raspberry PI3, Kali 2018.1, they give a different procedure for each OS
should I try with openplotter? and wich one in this case?
So in the meantime I tried with openplotter headless, managed to ssh the raspberry via ethernet, install the driver files in a directory and updated the Makefile file with:

Code:
CONFIG_PLATFORM_BCM2709 = y
CONFIG_PLATFORM_I386_PC = n
CONFIG_PLATFORM_ANDROID_X86 = n

This is what the make command returns :
Code:
pi@openplotter:~/tplink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v5.2.2.4_25483.20171222 $ make
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/5.4.79+/build M=/home/pi/tplink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v5.2.2.4_25483.20171222  modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.4.79+/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:1911: modules] Error 2
pi@openplotter:~/tplink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v5.2.2.4_25483.20171222 $
I suspect a HW/kernel/driver/ compatibility issue but i am running out of skills to go any further...
you have to install the kernel headers

Once you figure out how, you could even build a driver for picore.