This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will PyPilot perform on high speed boat?
Will PyPilot perform on high speed boat? Let's say hydro-foiling sailboat doing 65kt?
I think good test would be to use it on a small aviation drone.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
--MG
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry piĀ 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

I have reports of it working at 25 knots or so, that is the best I can tell you.

It has more to do with the boat size, actuator speed and conditions than just the boat speed. For example, a smaller boat going 10 knots needs a much faster autopilot than a larger boat at the same speed.

As for sailing 65 knots, really wow, I cannot really say yet. There is a difference between steering and steering highly accurately enough to maintain such speeds and remain efficient. In theory it should all work, it is just a feedback loop. I did increase the default control loop from 10hz to 20hz in the last release, but it could in theory be increased more, but the inertial sensors have noise, and it begins to use a lot more cpu, which is only really a concern on the pi zero. It would be possible to use multiple imu, so many more axes of gyro/accel/compass to reduce the noise a bit. A really fast actuator would help a lot and minimal play in the linkage. In the future I should have smarter algorithms as well which can take data from many sensors to improve steering, and this could potentially help too.