This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggestions for storing a back-up sd card
I've just corrupted a card accidentally removing the power from the pi.  OK, fixed that problem so it can't happen again, but I anticipate further "doh" events, so I am going to duplicate the card image complete (so I capture all settings etc) and then store it safely somewhere.

Which leads to the questions how, and where.

I figure a faux faraday cage would be clever, so I am thinking put the sd card in a clipseal baggie, in a metal box, in another clipseal bag.

But I know nothing on the subject really so I am open to practical suggestions.
(2021-10-18, 01:40 AM)aardvarkash10 Wrote: I've just corrupted a card accidentally removing the power from the pi.  OK, fixed that problem so it can't happen again, but I anticipate further "doh" events, so I am going to duplicate the card image complete (so I capture all settings etc) and then store it safely somewhere.

Which leads to the questions how, and where.

I figure a faux faraday cage would be clever, so I am thinking put the sd card in a clipseal baggie, in a metal box, in another clipseal bag.

But I know nothing on the subject really so I am open to practical suggestions.

may not be a solution for you when out of i/net reach but keep also a image copy on e.g. google drive or similar cloud service. 

Aluminium wrapping your backup SDHC card should keep it also safe from lightnings etc. 

m2cent Smile
(2021-10-18, 01:40 AM)aardvarkash10 Wrote: I've just corrupted a card accidentally removing the power from the pi.  OK, fixed that problem so it can't happen again, but I anticipate further "doh" events, so I am going to duplicate the card image complete (so I capture all settings etc) and then store it safely somewhere.

I have my Pi setup with a circuit that means me or the crew just need to flip the instrument breaker and the Pi will shut down safely (like all the other instruments).  Uses 2x 12 to 5V converters, a relay and a pair of diodes.
(2021-10-26, 02:45 AM)Techstyle Wrote:

I have my Pi setup with a circuit that means me or the crew just need to flip the instrument breaker and the Pi will shut down safely (like all the other instruments).  Uses 2x 12 to 5V converters, a relay and a pair of diodes.

Thanks - I'm just in the process if finalising a "GPIO26" shutdown solution for that sort of thing as well.  But I'm wanting to keep a spare image onboard for those times when a software, hardware or dampware failure corrupts the sd in use.

I'm now thinking just keep it in the little plastic envelope do-hicky it came in, and store that wrapped in tinfoil (from my hat) taped to the inside of the pi enclosure.