This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weird stuff happening - openCPN 5.5.1109 on OpenPlotter and Buster rpi 3 B+
I just updated my system and went out for a test sail. Now all sorts of weird stuff is happening that I can't figure out, so would appreciate any suggestions:

1) In OpenCPN the sounds play through the headphones instead of HDMI. I do hear the opening chimes, and my VLC plays fine, but in OpenCPN when I try to test a sound, eg SART alarm, it plays through the headphones instead of HDMI. How do I set it to send the output to the right channel?

2) my Own Ship icon dances around in direction. The COG predictor line is fine, as is the track it is laying down, but the boat's heading points off in all sorts of directions.

3) When I lay in a route, the direction to destination, every few seconds, shows something impossible, eg 2888576 (M) or  8 (T) and 337 (M)  (WMM calculated magnetic variation here is - 15 deg) and then it goes back to a more normal number.

(sorry about the photo quality, don't know how to get a screenshot from the RPI)

4) The NMEA debug window remains empty, so I cannot see what sentences are coming through.

(debug window is open, but no sentences in the empty box above the Filters dialog. BRG show 7 deg for both T and M.)

5) I am using a usb wireless keyboard. Every now and then the mouse freezes and I cannot get any action from the keypad. The navigation, however, continues to function. Then after several minutes it all comes back again. I try reseating the USB dongle, turning off and on the keyboard but nothing, except time, seems to wake it up. I also tried a different keyboard with the same result.

The NMEA data is coming from a Quark-Electric multiplexer from which it goes by USB cable to my raspberry pi running openPlotter Signal K and from there to OpenCPN.  Power supply is 5v 3 amp. No little lightning icon shows up.

At the same time I have OpenCPN 5.2.0 running on my laptop receiving the same NMEA data by wifi from the Quark. It does not show any of this erratic behaviour.

So, any suggestions please?

thanks

Noel
1 Why are you using Signal-K? With only one input (wifi) and one out to OpenCPN is does have only disadvantages.
2 OpenCPN never shows signal-K input in the nmea debugwindow (As Signal-K is not nmea)
3 somewhere you are introducing wrong positions. Likely in Signal-K, so another reason for not using it.
(2021-11-14, 02:37 PM)RooieDirk Wrote: 1 Why are you using Signal-K? With only one input (wifi) and one out to OpenCPN is does have only disadvantages.

'Cos that is what the docs told me to do. Ok, I will try doing it directly from the USB into OpenCPN. 

I will report back on that.

Any suggestions on why the mouse is freezing?
(2021-11-14, 10:46 PM)noel Wrote:
(2021-11-14, 02:37 PM)RooieDirk Wrote: 1 Why are you using Signal-K? With only one input (wifi) and one out to OpenCPN is does have only disadvantages.

'Cos that is what the docs told me to do. Ok, I will try doing it directly from the USB into OpenCPN. 

I will report back on that.

Any suggestions on why the mouse is freezing?

Using the SignalK server as the marine data server is the best way to separate the OpenCPN Chartplotter software and the data steam(s).

With SignalK you can later simply add another input, because it works as a multiplexer.

You can use the instrument set MxTommy Kip for the display of the data with several dials. You can send back the waypoint and route data from OpenCPN to the SignalK server and also show the putput in the Kip display. or send the nmeadata to an autopilot.

Then there is the SignalK diagnostics app to show the GPS and, if you have one the AIS input in detail.

It can be done direct in OpenCPN, but via SignalK is a better option.

You can make screen print with FN and delete key if you have a wireless keyboard. On other keyboards, there is a key marked PrtScrn.

Input to the Signak server is easy to be done with the app Serial which gives the item an alias, so that it is reconized in every usb port.

The freezing of the mouse has probably to do with two Items on the same usb address.

Also check if the partition is expanded after you put the image on the SD. What SD are you using ?

Bram
Hi Bram,

I am using a 32Gb Scandisk, which has previously worked fine until I did two things this week: 1) I replaced our dying Ship Modul multiplexer with the Quark-Electric and 2) I updated everything using the openPlotter update feature.

As rooieDirk suggested, there must be some strange data getting inserted somewhere to produce all those weird effects.

How do I make sure the usb ports are not conflicting?

Thanks
Ok, new experiments.

If I unplug the USB input and use just the wifi input from the Quark, all works well.

I refresh the Serial page in Signal K and remove the missing device. There is still showing there one device on USB port af21504 ttyS0 don't know what that is as it doesn't change if I move the USB dongle or change it or add a different one.

So then I plug in the USB cable and refresh. It now detects the quark input. I give it an alias and do a system check. All looks good.

I then go over to OpenCPN and add the new Signal K connection, local host, port 3000

Then I go back over to Serial Connections where I add the new connection that it discovered.

So now there is data coming in to the OpenCPN, but immediately the boat starts spinning around and occasionally disappears totally (although the dashed header line remains). And then every minute or so I get a warning

assertion failed something about settimeDateformat or something.

and then the mouse freezes again and I have to do a hard reboot.

If I then reboot, switch the connection in OpenCPN back to the wifi network, then everything is fine again, even though the USB is still plugged in, and the connections are still in the Serial app.

If I then disable the wifi input, and add a direct serial usb input in OpenCPN (not a signal k input) then everything is happy again, except for the warning from openPlotter that my default openCPN connection is not receiving data from Signal K.

So obviously there is something odd going on with the USB input through Signal K. Any ideas?

At least I can navigate by bypassing the Signal K, so it is not desperate! And at this time I have not other inputs to Signal K, so I guess I don't really need that feature.
(2021-11-15, 03:08 PM)noel Wrote: Ok, new experiments.

If I unplug the USB input and use just the wifi input from the Quark, all works well.

I refresh the Serial page in Signal K and remove the missing device. There is still showing there one device on USB port af21504 ttyS0    don't know what that is as it doesn't change if I move the USB dongle or change it or add a different one.

So then I plug in the USB cable and refresh. It now detects the quark input. I give it an alias and do a system check. All looks good.

I then go over to OpenCPN and add the new Signal K connection, local host, port 3000

Then I go back over to Serial Connections where I add the new connection that it discovered.

So now there is data coming in to the OpenCPN, but immediately the boat starts spinning around and occasionally disappears totally (although the dashed header line remains). And then every minute or so I get a warning

assertion failed something about settimeDateformat or something.

and then the mouse freezes again and I have to do a hard reboot.

If I then reboot, switch the connection in OpenCPN back to the wifi network, then everything is fine again, even though the USB is still plugged in, and the connections are still in the Serial app.

If I then disable the wifi input, and add a direct serial usb input in OpenCPN (not a signal k input) then everything is happy again, except for the warning from openPlotter that my default openCPN connection is not receiving data from Signal K.

So obviously there is something odd going on with the USB input through Signal K. Any ideas?

At least I can navigate by bypassing the Signal K, so it is not desperate! And at this time I have not other inputs to Signal K, so I guess I don't really need that feature.

I had some issues with the automatic searching for the server address in OpenCPN. Switch it to off. It is not needed if you indicated localhost as the server adress.
(2021-11-13, 09:35 PM)noel Wrote: I just updated my system and went out for a test sail. Now all sorts of weird stuff is happening that I can't figure out, so would appreciate any suggestions .../...

Oooops, 5.5.1109 had a very short lifespan ...
Now 5.5 .1116 is available for install Exclamation
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

There was some issues with plugins in OpenCPN 5.5.1109 and OpenPlotter that we have solved in 5.5.1116, please update.