This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to ssh pypilot through ethernet
Hello everyone,
In case the WIFI server in pypilot is not active and you have no screen/keyboard (my case currently) it would be convenient to be able to ssh pypilot from a PC using an ethernet cable. Could anyone help in this matter, how to configure the network on the PC (Ubuntu in my case) and pypilot (tinycore in my case)? 
My Conf : RPI 3B + pypilot HAT + tinypilot_2020_10_27.img.xz
Normally wifi is active. Did you disable or misconfigure it? It is possible to reset the settings using the lcd display or by editing the networking file.

As for ethernet, it is possible, but you would have to write a script to configure the network and either run at boot or as a service (useful to reconnect maybe) depending on your network setup.

Let me know if you have questions for how to do it. The base system is tinycore linux which is quite different from other distributions in many ways.
(2021-10-19, 02:45 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Normally wifi is active.  Did you disable or misconfigure it?   It is possible to reset the settings using the lcd display or by editing the networking file.

As for ethernet, it is possible, but you would have to write a script to configure the network and either run at boot or as a service (useful to reconnect maybe) depending on your network setup.

Let me know if you have questions for how to do it.  The base system is tinycore linux which is quite different from other distributions in many ways.

Hello Sean,
Thank you for your reply. WIFI activation upon booting is a problem it happens only occasionally and I cannot understand why. I managed to ssh my RPI3 through ethernet by editing the cmdline3.txt file, I added "ip=169.254.20.20" at the end of the line. then i configured my PC ethernet connection IPV4 "local network only". From there I could ssh tc@169.254.20.20 and access the web interface. From there if i go to configuration/WIFI configuration and press "submit" the WIFI starts up on the pypilot and I can ssh or browse both IP address the same way (169.254.20.20 or 192.168.14.1).
If I restore the original cmdline3.txt file on the SD card the WIFI does not launch. I have checked networking.txt and it is OK ( "Master", SSID "pypilot", no password). If I keep the modified cmdline3.txt the RPI waits for the ethernet connection to complete booting...which is not very convenient...
Following first tests i have performed this afternoon: with the modified cmdline3.txt file after hanging for a couple of minutes the boot sequence is properly completed --> stand by is displayed on the LCD, I can use pypilot with the remote control, however the WIFI is off (even though it was on at previous shutdown).

PS : pypilot behave like a dream at sea, night and day with the original autohelm 3000 (steering wheel) from which I just keep the motor and belt transmission, I am impressed by the work done!
Wifi without Password is an bad Idea nowadays

just my 2 cents.

Without dhcp server 169.254.20.x ist the default. Only local, no routing like 10.xxx or 192.168.xxx.

Do yourself an Favor and add an cheap little Wifi/Cell Router to your Setup, they take litte Current from you Batteries and you get much more Stability.

Raspberrys doubled as APs make often Trouble with instable Connects, these are difficult to localize. Since i added one all my Network Quircks are gone...

Good Luck - Holger
(2021-10-19, 07:41 PM)holgerw Wrote: Wifi without Password is an bad Idea nowadays

just my 2 cents.

Without dhcp server 169.254.20.x ist the default. Only local, no routing like 10.xxx or 192.168.xxx.

Do yourself an Favor and add an cheap little Wifi/Cell Router to your Setup, they take litte Current from you Batteries and you get much more Stability.

Raspberrys doubled as APs make often Trouble with instable Connects, these are difficult to localize. Since i added one all my Network Quircks are gone...

Good Luck - Holger

Yes my intention was to use a psw later on, but if the WIFI does not start...well this is my main concern as of now why the WIFI does not start? how can I fix that? for the time being I have to hook the RPI to the PC with an ethernet cable to activate the WIFI server on pypilot anytime I switch it on. Once the WIFI is back I will see how stable it is and consider your idea to use a WIFI router if need be, thank you.
This is using a pi 3b? It is very strange. With the standard image wifi should start on boot.

Can you inspect the /var/log/hostapd/current log file?
(2021-10-20, 03:42 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: This is using a pi 3b?   It is very strange.   With the standard image wifi should start on boot.

Can you inspect the /var/log/hostapd/current log file?

Yes Raspberry Pi 3B 1 Gb RAM + Pypilot HAT + std image updated according to this thread : https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3701 (icm20948 issue)
I will post the log file tomorrow.
Here is the current log file
Code:
2020-03-14_11:00:22.74721 ./run: exec: line 3: hostapd: not found
Some data seems corrupted. Can you try downloading the sd card image again, and writing it to a different card?