This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting nmea data out of Signal K/OpenCPN
(2021-11-08, 12:44 AM)Island_Moose Wrote: Is Node Red another option for creating links between all of my equipment?  I've been looking at it online, thinking it's a possibility for getting nmea0183 from the RPi to other sources.

Node red is fantastic & extremely powerful, but you shouldn't really need to use it for data apart from deeper fiddling. Well worth investigating though, can be useful for problem solving. 

Did you solve your problem yet?
(2021-11-08, 12:27 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2021-11-08, 12:44 AM)Island_Moose Wrote: Is Node Red another option for creating links between all of my equipment?  I've been looking at it online, thinking it's a possibility for getting nmea0183 from the RPi to other sources.

Node red is fantastic & extremely powerful, but you shouldn't really need to use it for data apart from deeper fiddling. Well worth investigating though, can be useful for problem solving. 

No, I can't seem to establish data out of OpenCPN.  Full data in, everythign working, but nothing back up to the usb bi directional multiplexer (and on to autopilot) and nothing to the VHF down the usb rs485.

(2021-11-08, 07:58 PM)Island_Moose Wrote:
(2021-11-08, 12:27 PM)PaddyB Wrote:

No, I can't seem to establish data out of OpenCPN.  Full data in, everythign working, but nothing back up to the usb bi directional multiplexer (and on to autopilot) and nothing to the VHF down the usb rs485.

Frustrating with the VHF, clearly debug mode shows data flowing down the usb rs485 cable, the cable itself has led indicators that show data arriving, but no GPS data at the vhf.  I checked continuity, even swapped over the wires, but nothing.  Having GPS at the VHF in iteself isn't critical, but if I could get it to work I know I could also get the autopilot working.  At the moment I cannot confirm that OpenCPN is sending data back up to the bi directional multiplexer.
Did you ever resolve this issue?
(2021-10-29, 01:11 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2021-10-29, 01:00 AM)Island_Moose Wrote:
(2021-10-29, 12:40 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2021-10-29, 12:09 AM)Island_Moose Wrote:
(2021-10-28, 11:28 PM)Techstyle Wrote: I think that is the whole point of the mux - to multiplex all the signals to all the ports.

Do you see the GGA sentence coming in from the GPS device?

You should be able to add a TCP network connection in OpenCPN:
Protocol: TCP
Address: localhost
DataPort: 10110
check receive only
and then once added you will be able to pull up the NMEA debug window and see what sentences are available

I would use this instead of the SignalK connection you have (then you can use it to debug)

on the outgoing side, if you transmit only RMB, APB, XTE then you wont get loops
Protocol: UDP
Address: localhost
DataPort: 10110
Check Output only
in the Output filtering box "transmit sentences" RMB, APB, XTE

don't ignore any sentences in SignalK (you have RMB and APB ignored)

once you have done this show us the openCPN debug window

I'm getting good GPS sentences in OpenCPN, the plotter is working perfectly.   I just can't find a way to send any data out of CPN (I want to send data to my autopilot and VHF).

there doesn't seem to be any positions in your GGA sentence 

well you were screening out RMB and APB which have Autopilot sentences on them so you may want to not do that.  As for the VHF what do you have selected in the SignalK to NMEA0183 plugin?

read this page:  https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-to-nmea0183

I selected everything in the SignalK to nmea0183 plugin, and relevant GPS sentences in the nmea0183 to nmea0183 plugin.
Did you check settings.json for: 
Code:
"toStdout": "nmea0183out"

I'm waiting for the result
I made the connection of the GPS receiver with SignalK and SignalK to OpenCPN with Network/localhost/3000. The GPS connection is visible on the map - that part is working well. After that I connecten Tinypilot with TCP/Output/192.168.14.1/20220 (only output RMC, APB). I don't see any signal on NMEA Debug Window from OpenCPN. And on the Tinypilot I only see the compass connection and gps is not accepted. 

The strange situation is that after login in TP, and running  tail /var/log/pypilot/current, I saw old information. But NMEA debug was working and at that moment I had a gps connetion on Tinypilot. So I had the impression that the problem was solved. But.... after restart I can't see GPS signal on TP anymore, and not any data in the NMEA Debug Window of OpenCPN anymore. So no NMEA code is send I expect? What is going wrong here.....??? I installed the newest versions of Tinypilot.

If you have any idea, that would be perfect!! Thanks.
If the information coming in from signalk to opencpn is done with the native signalk connection (the one over 3000, like you did) there are no nmea messages that can be forwarded to tinypilot. This lack of RMC messages prevents tinypilot to enable the GPS mode. Only when you activate a route, opencpn starts generating RMC and APB messages. It looks like this is what you encountered.

If you want the GPS mode when no route is active, you have some options:
  1. set up a signalk connection between pypilot and signalk directly (check security->access requests in signalk dashboard), or 
  2. set up a tcp connection from signalk to pypilot port 20220 (check server->data connections). Depending on whether your GPS data comes in from NMEA2000 or NMEA0183, you might want signalk to generate the RMC message by using the signalk server plugin signalk-to-nmea0183. I think.
Having said that, following tracks with OpenCPN-generated APB messages has never been a real success for me. You might want to investigate the OpenCPN Autopilot Route plugin, that has been released in the master plugin catalog as of 5.8.0.

EDIT: I have struck out the first option, as it was erroneous. Pypilot does not seem to benefit from gps data provided by signalk native connection.
Thanks, it is working now perfect, with the pypilot connection in SignalK (Server>Data connections). Earlier I already arranged the SignalK connection with signalk directly (incl. access request), but that didn't change the situation (?)

Question: if I now want to use OpenCPN/GPS for a route - what I still never tried till now - do I have to set-up another TCP connection (with OpenCPN), or does it use the connection now defined by SignalK, as soon as I choose to follow the route?

Thanks!
So far, I have not been able to find a way to communicate routing information through signalk to pypilot. I cannot find any additional 'path' in signalk's data browser to reflect a bearing to waypoint when either the OpenCPN stock routing is active, or the autopilot route plugin is active. Neither could I find any code in either the autopilot route plugin or pypilot that would utilise such a path.

So the answer would be yes, you would have to send at least APB messages to the 20220 socket of pypilot to be able to follow a route. I'll give it a quick test here to see if the pypilot plugin Forward NMEA option would suffice. Stand by.

EDIT: First, you were right in that the native signalk to pypilot connection does not activate the GPS mode. I was wrong in that and I have updated my previous post.
Second, Forward NMEA does forward the APB and RMC messages, so it would suffice. However, it does also forward many superfluous messages to pypilot, which is a waste of cpu cycles on either side in my opinion. Therefore I would suggest a proper data connection, with an output filter allowing only RMC and APB messages. And WMV messages, if you want to explore the Wind options.