This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect pypilot to another wifi network -edited
I would like some help connecting my pypilot to another wifi.

I am using this thing to get my depth:

https://store.vexilar.com/sonarphone-w-h...luded.html

It creates a wifi network. I dont know much about it. The network is called T-BOX-595. It has no password. When I connect to it and I open their app I get my depth info in the app. It also sends the depth info to navionics which is nice.

I want to connect my pypilot to the wifi created by the sonarphone.

I have managed to get my pypilot to connect to a generic wifi network by going into configuration, wifi settings and selecting the second option, managed client. On my home network, I just entered my network name and password and I later saw pypilot pop up on my home network and I connected to it over the IP address my network assigned it.

That method is not working with the network made by sonarphone. I entered the SSID as T-BOX-595 and left the key blank. I see that pypilot asks for "“Client Mode Address (leave blank for dhcp)” as well. Should I enter something here?

Using Fing, I can see the IP addresses for all the devices on the T-BOX-595 network. My iPhone and iPad show up but I dont see my pypilot. It looks like it is just not connecting to the network.  It appears to me the sonarphone wifi has a "router" at address 192.168.1.1. When I try to visit that IP using a browser it asks for a  username and password which I dont have.
probably should leave it blank and use dhcp.

It could be that this box is a 5ghz wifi? Could you try the 3rd option (AP+Client) then you can connect to the pypilot's access point and use ssh. From here you can run command line commands like ifconfig and iwconfig. You can also analyze the logs in /var/log/dhcpcd and /var/log/wpa_supplicant

Without ssh you can also access the logs from 192.168.14.1/logs when connected to the tinypilot access point. Hopefully there will be clues why it could not connect as a wifi client.

Finally, can you use other raspberry pi distribution etc and connect to this network? If so, we can definitely make it work, but it may be that this sonarphone cannot. Finally, can the sonar phone act as a wifi client?
Right. 5 Ghz, that makes sense. The depth sounder network might be purely 5Ghz so the pi zero can't join it. That makes quite a bit of sense. I think that means I'm hooped.

I've reached out to the maker of the depth sounder. Maybe I can reprogram that device to join a third network. Then I could get both devices to join a mixed 5/2.4 GHz network.
(2024-03-26, 05:10 AM)hopkinslaw Wrote: The network is called T-BOX-595. It has no password. 

Just being curious about this device, I downloaded the manual and it mentions "the WPA security code from the factory is 12345678" which might be at odds with what you are saying here. May be this helps.