This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
New Py Zero 2 W is Out!
(2022-02-23, 06:16 AM)NousVoila Wrote: Sean, 
My raspberry pi zero 2 that I thought was burned is not.
I managed to install the beta image and everything works GPS, jlx12864 screen, windsensor Yachta by lan, but not able to detect imu. I have tried 2 imu9250, and 2 ICM 20948, none of them are detected.

Which imu are you using?

I use the 9250 (on i2c) and it works perfectly fine with either original Sean image (on Pi Zero) or my image (on both Pi Zero 1 and 2).
How did you wire them? Did the icm 20948 have level translators? Can you see the address using i2cdetect -y 1?
(2022-02-21, 04:08 PM)stelian Wrote: Hi hans-martijn,

Thanks for the dmesg log. Is this with the faulty USB cable attached ?

Because I see some USB related errors in the logs:

Code:
[    4.375481] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[    4.495543] Indeed it is in host mode hprt0 = 00021501
[    4.705452] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using dwc_otg
[    4.705847] Indeed it is in host mode hprt0 = 00021501
[    4.935450] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71

Hi stelian,

No, it was the actual working cable. I didn't notice, but it didn't work (again), so I ordered a new one. It works again, let's see how long this time ;-)

Thanks,
Hans
(2022-02-23, 12:59 AM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2022-01-09, 02:29 AM)kagouraki Wrote: Hello Stelian
i tried your image and it seems to work as shipped.

Because i have a strange jlx12864 display, i need to change the commands in the ugfx.cpp file and build again with pypilot.build.

When i do this, the web controll interface doesn't work. I looked at ~/pypilot/web folder and the file web.py seems corrupted to me.

Out of curiosity, how is your jlx12864 strange that it requires a rebuild?   I could incorporate your changes somehow, at least to make it easier for you in the future maybe?

Hello i attached what i needed to change for my screen to work. 
The ebay UK seller i bought this screen had provided me with a sample code. 
With your existing code the screen was erasing and writing very fast so you could barely see that was something on the screen. If you stopped the hat service the screen stopped trying to write anything so you could see an image on the screen. So the screen was working and i concluded that there is a driver problem. After much effort i managed to find and change the commands and now it is working perfectly.
I also attach pictures of my screen.

Attached Files Image(s)

.txt   patch.txt (Size: 2.2 KB / Downloads: 138)
Anyone tried 64bit raspberry pi os on a Pi Zero 2? 
Just wondering if it's worth a play to see if there are any benefits. I use a zero 2 to run openplotter/signalk to get all the data into signalk, very little VNC screen work, mostly web page based.
I see only disadvantages using raspi-os over tinycorelinux.

First and foremost tinycorelinux runs almost read-only on an SD-card. When switching to raspi-os you might want to add an UPS and a power cycle script to prevent SD-card failure. If you want to test with raspi-os on a pi-zero2 I'd suggest you install OpenPlotter, inclusing pypilot, and remove OpenCPN (and X).

With the upgrade from the pi-zero to the pi-zero2 I see hardly any advantage in 5% extra performance when you account for the boost from 1 core to 4 cores. There is also not enough memory to want to upgrade to 64-bit. The only advantage would be being able to switch to alternative hardware (orangepi, pine64, friendyelec) but it all seems hardly worth the trouble.

The addition of a full SignalK server seems a valid option for me, but mostly the other way around. Adding it to tinypilot. But even hen I also don't see any advantage in 64-bit.
(2022-03-08, 03:08 PM)hreuver Wrote: I see only disadvantages using raspi-os over tinycorelinux.

First and foremost tinycorelinux runs almost read-only on an SD-card. When switching to raspi-os you might want to add an UPS and a power cycle script to prevent SD-card failure. If you want to test with raspi-os on a pi-zero2 I'd suggest you install OpenPlotter, inclusing pypilot, and remove OpenCPN (and X).

How much less power did tinylinux use compared with raspi OS? 
Surprisingly the Zero pulls more power when the desktop is turned off in raspi-config. Run startx in the terminal & power goes down a little.  Huh
Need to do some more testing though to check that. Seems odd. 

Not sure read only helps much, usb sd caed readers use more power (ssd even worse)  so infuxdb data all goes in the internal card. If (when) it wears out they cost little these days. 

From obsessive data logging it looks like it could well be worth a arduino nano or similar to read the many nmea0183/serial data going into siganlk instead of many serial/usb converters.

(2022-03-08, 03:08 PM)hreuver Wrote: I see only disadvantages using raspi-os over tinycorelinux.

How much less power did tinylinux use compared with raspi OS? 
Surprisingly the Zero pulls more power when the desktop is turned off in raspi-config. Run startx in the terminal & power goes down a little.  Huh
Need to do some more testing though to check that. Seems odd. 

Not sure read only helps much, usb sd caed readers use more power (ssd even worse)  so infuxdb data all goes in the internal card. If (when) it wears out they cost little these days. 

From obsessive data logging it looks like it could well be worth a arduino nano or similar to read the many nmea0183/serial data going into siganlk instead of many serial/usb converters.
You could try "tvservice -o".
It reduces the continuous the power consumption with some 0.08 Watt or so to 0.81W...

When optimizing tinycorelinux it is a small step to remove the monitor function completely, by optimizing the kernel.

The other important settings for my pi zero 2 signalk server can be summarized by:
CPU 0-3: 600 MHz (600-1000 MHz), governer: powersave
Thermal zone: 35 grC
This is still running raspi-os buster, waiting till I pick up the project to first port the signalk-server to tinycorelinux using the zero 2.
I don't see including the signalk-server in tinypilot happening any time soon.

(I haven't used a zero 2 for the tinypilot, For SignalK it is the difference from "theoretically it works" and "it is useable". I use the signalk server with a canbus adapter and some pressure sensor, 2 inputs.)
I'm currently trying to find a pizero 2. Is there anywhere in the world I can buy one? Thx!
I still see them being sold on Ali express, but for at least five times the price.