This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New raspberry pi OS released
I agree, 32 bits is a dead-end road for desktop and laptops and even other embedded systems like Raspberry but Raspberry is a special case.

Raspberry community is huge and you can find tons of blog posts, forums, tutorials, manuals... we have fed from these sources to learn and create OpenPlotter. But Raspberry org is not Debian or Ubuntu, they can not maintain 32 and 64 OS, they have to focus on just one. Dropping support for 32bit and focusing on 64bit has a high price to pay for little performance to be gained. The environmental consequences and the loss of community support are reasons enough to stick to 32bit in my humble opinion.

Maybe the problem is that we are using Raspberries in our boats and it is not what they were created for. They were created to empowering young people in impoverished countries. Maybe we should start using other OS for Raspberry or even use another hardware but I do not think OpenPlotter would exist on that context because I do not think the community would be big enough to feed a project like OpenPlotter with modest resources.

We will see what finally happens, I think that keeping an eye on the evolution of other systems is a good solution at this time. Having a robust OpenPlotter image under Ubuntu as the official image would be good for everyone but the way to get there can be difficult, or maybe not, we will see...
(2021-11-17, 05:24 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Hi Sailoog,

I'am running here Ubuntu Hirtute 64 bits, Ubuntu Impisch (no serial input yet), Debian Bullseye 64 bit with most of the OpenPlotter extra's. Also with OpenCPN and the SignalK server. All for ARM64.

What is the problem of the new releases for the very populair navigation purposes ?

Not having a supported 64bit raspberry pi OS makes it a bit irrelevant doesn't it?
Sorry but I have to insist. Debian bullseye for arm64 is stable but OpenPlotter needs to dress that vanilla Debian version with a graphical interface and the name of these graphical interfaces are "Raspberry OS" or "Ubuntu for Raspberry" and both are beta versions.

The main problem of Ubuntu or Raspberry OS for arm64 is relying on beta systems. In my experience you can not publish a stable version for wide distribution of any software running on a beta system, that is a nightmare.

I have already talked about the problem with OpenCPN and arm64 (you are forced to run opencpn for flatpak adding lots of extra MB or run opencpn for ubuntu/debian for arm64 without plugins) but I can not enumerate the rest of problems with the rest of parts of OpenPlotter for arm64 because I did not even started to work on it. I know this is not easy to understand but only when you are on this side you are aware of what means maintaining a project like this one.

OpenPlotter's human resources are limited and we are not even able to have good documentation. Migrating OpenPenPlotter 2 from buster 32 to OpenPenPlotter 3 for bullseye 32 will take months. We can only accept the commitment to test the changes from time to time in Ubuntu for Raspberry 64bit but we will not do the same with Raspberry OS 64bit because that is wasting time. The same day Raspberry OS bullseye 64bit is stable, all OpenPlotter 3 code and tools for Rsspberry OS bullseye 32bit will work on it with small changes.
@Bram
How about you fork https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen/tree/arm64 , then write some scripts and provide support for OP@arm64. You seem to be very capable
(2021-11-11, 06:48 PM)Sailoog Wrote: This is always hard to say. 1 or 2 months I think.
There is a lot of work but we do not start from scratch because we use the same tool chain that Raspberry guys to build OP images and there are not many changes in OP python code. Most of the time spent is building and testing betas and everyone can help a lot here.

Thanks Sailoog, I'll be glad to help out where I can.

Paul
  Angry  Ooops, the Raspberry Foundation is going full backward and puts on line a Raspbian Buster Legacy due to many inconsistencies in their latest BULLSEYE !
 Ref. this article !
The only good point is that they keep talking of a 64 bit version !
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2021-12-03, 05:37 PM)Didier B Wrote:   Angry  Ooops, the Raspberry Foundation is going full backward and puts on line a Raspbian Buster Legacy due to many inconsistencies in their latest BULLSEYE !
 Ref. this article !
The only good point is that they keep talking of a 64 bit version !

The RaspiOS version 64 bits based on Debian Bullseye is running here very well. Also with the OpenPlotter add-ons.

The only thing that is missing is a working plugin for the Oesenc charts. You need two plugins. One for the normal OpenCPN and one for the flatpak version.

The plugin will be released after the introduction of OpenCPN version 5.6.0. This version is just released and works on my RPI 4.

The flatpak version of OpenCPN is not yet updated to 5.6.0. But it is early days after one day of this new release.

Bram
Quote:sudo apt install python3-opengl
Bram
i have asked you before in cruisers forum but got no answer

Would you be so kind and explain why a C++ program like OpenCPN needs this Python module?
(2021-12-17, 05:31 PM)BlackSea Wrote:
Quote:sudo apt install python3-opengl
Bram
i have asked you before in cruisers forum but got no answer

Would you be so kind and explain why a C++ program like OpenCPN needs this Python module?

Hi Blacksea,

I'am only a user and like to test the latest developments. As far as I know OpenCPN is based on Python.

But I'am not sure abouty this.

Regards,

Bram
Quote:As far as I know OpenCPN is based on Python.
thank you, Bram. You made my day Big Grin