This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New raspberry pi OS released
Here > https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspber...-bullseye/

And question ... they say 
"With a major upgrade, we recommend downloading a new image, reinstalling any applications, and moving your data across from your current image. Debian major version upgrades contain a lot of changes, and it is very easy for some small tweak made somewhere in the system to be incompatible with some change you have made, and you can end up with a broken system and a Raspberry Pi that won’t boot"

So if going that route what needs to be done to install openplotter?

Done it before, the only obvious difference was the openplotter menus weren't there and some extra progs, some missing.
Anyone have like a check sheet or something  to get an install using the openplotter deb file to get it to mirror the basic openplotter version? 

Or is it OK just to do an upgrade? 

TIA
I am afraid we will need OpenPlotter v3.x.x:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...-numbering

This is the plan:

- OP v3.x.x packages will be published for Bullseye/Focal and not for Buster/Bionic
- We will only publish critical OP v2 updates for Buster/Bionic
- When main packages have been ported to v3 we will create new OpenPlotter images with Raspberry Pi OS based on bullseye.

There are already some important changes waiting for this major update like a new source repositories management, new dashboards apps version, etc.

We have been also working on a remote server in OpenMarine to request OP images on fly with some custom settings (language, network credentials, installed OP apps...) for free.

We already did this when we went from OP v1.x.x to OP v2.x.x
Also a great opportunity to update Signal K to Node 16!
(2021-11-09, 06:45 AM)tkurki Wrote: Also a great opportunity to update Signal K to Node 16!

Thx for info. I then set the AvNav Headless Image accordingly to new node version
(2021-11-09, 06:45 AM)tkurki Wrote: Also a great opportunity to update Signal K to Node 16!

Of course, that is already in the list too. Following this: https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server/pull/1346
Is there an approx/ballpark timescale for V3? Weeks, Months, a year?

I'm guessing this is a significant amount of work.

Thanks,

Paul

p.s. I'd like to help, i'm not a programmer but maybe I could do something?
This is always hard to say. 1 or 2 months I think.
There is a lot of work but we do not start from scratch because we use the same tool chain that Raspberry guys to build OP images and there are not many changes in OP python code. Most of the time spent is building and testing betas and everyone can help a lot here.
I took some time to read  this post and specially its comments
and it looked like the death announcement of Rarspi OS 64 bit !   Huh  So disappointing ! 
The organization's argument that they want to stay compatible with RPi1 looks final !!!

Consequently, Raspi OS 64 is DEAD ! The only path left to any 64 bit  evolution  is to pick an other OS ... Hope this will be taken into account in V3 !
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

I am afraid I share Raspberry developers opinion. There are only specific and small improvements over Raspberry OS 32bit and I would prefer to keep RPi 1 compatibility because they sold millions of units that we need to keep alive or everyone knows where will those boards end.

Maintaining a OS is a huge task and even Raspberry guys are not able to keep alive 2 OS at the same time. OpenPlotter obviously is not able either so we need to rely on RPi work. I can only say what I always say, we will support OpenPlotter over Raspberry OS 64bit only when there is an official an stable image.

Said this, I understand your frustration and even I share it so we could study other ways. As you know from v2 OpenPlotter can be installed in any Debian derivative and there are already good experiences with Ubuntu and Mint on non Raspberry computers. Even the big brother Ubuntu does not have a stable Raspberry image for 64bit yet and they are using non LTS versions like 21.04 and 21.10 but if I am not wrong they are the most active OS for Raspberry arm64 so we should focus on it.

On the other hand we have talked a lot with OpenCPN developers about the arm64 version (as you know I work for o-charts which is part of the OpenCPN dev team) and the final decision after the last discussion about this was to keep the flatpak OpenCPN version for arm64. this will change depending on the evolution of Raspberry OS 64bit or any strongest competitor in 64 bit but it will take some time.

To summarize, OpenPlotter v3 could start taking more into account Ubuntu 64bit for Raspberry and openplotter-opencpn-installer v3 could offer choosing between PPA installation or flatpak to be instaled in arm64. Does this make sense?

EDIT:

To clarify, we can make easier installing OpenPlotter in other OS but what we can not do is building and distributing OpenPlotter images for any other OS, only for Raspberry OS.
(2021-11-17, 01:52 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am afraid I share Raspberry developers opinion. There are only specific and small improvements over Raspberry OS 32bit and I would prefer to keep RPi 1 compatibility because they sold millions of units that we need to keep alive or everyone knows where will those boards end.

Completely agree, little performance to be gained from 64bit and only on certain machines/apps, no point really.