This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Order of things
Hi all
OK, I had an OpenPlotter running fine on my boat - around 200 miles of actual voyages, and perhaps 200 on casual 'point to point' sailing - with no real issues....

It was fairly vanilla (after many attempts to get a GY-91 working - where 1 sensor or another was faulty - the software was fine)....
I had a USB/Ublox puck working fine on the boat.  I also had an SDR for AIS - which worked, but was very short range as the antenna was in the cabin (I think). I also had a DSC handheld radio which could output GPS - and sometimes connected that to the charplotter as a backup - but never used it for real. 

I have a seatalk network - depth/ST2000 autopilot and sometimes a speedlog (usually fails after a while!).

This year, I treated myself to a Standard Horizon AIS/DSC Radio with the usual connections 0183, and ordered some more IMUs....

Now, are there any suggestions from the team as to what order to add stuff (or the priority to set them at?)  The AIS I reckon is high priority - IF the radio is on.  I have got my hands on a serial to USB converter to try the 0183 connection for GPS/AIS to pi....
The Ublox needs to be on IF the radio isnt on (or fails).

Should I bother with the IMU magnetic compass OR will that just confuse things?  I have read reports of compass jumping around with imus.  I would like roll on the plotter as I lost my mechanical version.   

Should I try to connect the ST2000?  Whats the need when I am never sailing 'true' to a waypoint anyway - AND - there are some serious limitations on the ST2000 following a track anyway... - I would count this 'nice'....

I think I understand setting priorities for devices with the same outputs - suggestions would be welcome!