This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hall Effect Sensor Anemometer
Hi There All,

I have just built an Anemometer with a 3144 Hall Effect Sensor. 

I have successfully interfaced with GPIO17, a 3.3v and GND PIN on Rasp Pi 4 running a python3 script. So I know it works.

My question is how I can interface this directly with OpenPlotter using the GPIO Settings to display windspeed to the dashboards via SignalK?

I have delved into the GPIO settings interface and see options for Pulse/Digital, rotations, radius, m/s etc and presume this has some relevance.

There is nothing (that I found) in the documentation to help me navigate this. Am I on the right track? Is this even possible? Happy to update the docs if we get this running.

Running OP 2.
Thanks in advance.

Crocks32
I haven't done it, but from looking at the OpenPlotter GPIO app, it looks like you can do what you want entirely in that app. Just get the pulses/second from that GPIO pin mapped properly to meters/second, then assign a relevant SignalK key to it. If you need to know what SignalK key you'll need to use, the SignalK web site has a reference document that should give you what you need. It will be something like environment.wind.speedApparent and/or environment.wind.angleApparent.

Once it's in SignalK, you can use it directly in OpenCPN and other OpenPlotter apps, or convert it to NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 as you need it.