This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to connect IMU
I am hoping to control my Raymarine ST4000 using tinypilot. I am struggling with it. I have not been able to find any step by step guide and would appreciate assistance.

My particular question: How do I get the IMU connected 

I have successfully got tiny pilot working on my pi zero. I am able to connect to it using a separate browser. I have wired my IMU to the pi zero 
as follows:
Pi Zero.       IMU

pin 1(3.3).   VCC
pin 3 (SDA). SDA
pin 5 SCL     SCL
pin 6 GND.   GND

(I tried swapping pin 3 and 5 as well)

The addition of the IMU changes nothing on my pypilot output. On the web interface for the pypilot I get an error: 

Autopilot Errors: compass or gyro failure!

I am using this IMU:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0C6J7D79V

I believe the IMU works because I connected it to an Arduino and it seemed to generate data.

The Arduino required I install a library for the sketch to work. Do I need to install a library?

How do I get the IMU working? Can anyone direct me to a post that sets out pathway to completing this project?
just because it worked on arduino doesnt mean all the sensors work. these are notorious for bad quality parts.

did you try i2c-detect -y 1 on a pi with openplotter or raspbian?

normally this imu is plug and play with tinypilot and i use it myself without issues.
I am still struggling to connect to my IMU.

When I run i2c detect (I think the command is actually "i2cdetect" with no dash) I get all dashes except at 68. When I unplug the IMU I get all dashes. So something is being detected.

I tried getting things working in openplotter. When I install pypilot and turn on i2c I get an error message at the bottom of the pypilot screen. "Error requesting access to Signal K server: HttpConnectionPool(host='localhost',port=3000):Max....."
When I run the i2c utility I see the same Signal K error and the add button is greyed out. I cant get anything done on that page.

I really appreciate the help Sean. I am so excited to see the store is back up and running. I think the best thing to do is order my parts there. I'll keep bashing away with I've got
dont worry about the signalk.

it could be that signalk or some other service is trying to access the i2c device.

What if you stop all the pypilot services, ensure none are running, eg:
ps aux | grep python

then run pypilot_boatimu on the terminal. It should help debug the inertial sensors, and post the output.