This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote LCD Nokia5510/JLX12864 with ESP32
Hello All,

I would like to test the possibility to built a Pypilot remote with an ESP32 and a simple Nokia 5510 LCD or a JLX 12864 LCD. Does anyone has experimented such configuration ? I am not sure about the SPI to use : SPI2 or SPI3 ?

Best regards,

Damien.
I was successful in getting the JLX12864 to work with the esp32. I could not tell you which SPI I used as this was last year... but it works I can tell you that.
Dear rastam4n,

Thanks for the confirmation about JLX LCD working with ESP32 on SPI. 

The idea is to use the hat code by Sean (https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/tree/master/hat) which seems to already support the esp32 through micropython.

I have flashed a generic esp32 with micropython (esp32-20210902-v1.17.bin) and uploaded Sean's code on it (make clean followed by make upload) after modifying the MPY_CROSS location to fit my own system.
I had to comment out line 13 within wifi_esp32.py (#station.wifi_ps(network.WIFI_PS_MAX_MODEM)  # not sure this saves any power!!) as wifi_ps method was reported to be unknown.

Unfortunately, I am currently stuck with the missing ugfx module : I may need to compile and upload it but I am not sure how to execute this... Would somemone have an idea ?

Best regards,

Damien.
with esp32 I am using ILI9341/ST7789V

https://github.com/pypilot/micropython
Sean,
Thanks for pointing to your micropython repository ; I will try to compile the ESP32 port and install it on my generic ESP32 (ESP32-WROOM32).

Regarding the drivers, it seems that most of ILI9341/ST7789V LCDs can not be sunlight readable except expensive transflective displays (that was the reason as well as low power why I was looking at JLX 12864). Do you think this could be a viable route ?

Best regards,

Damien
Just needs the driver for the the jlx12964 tested and working on esp32. It is a bit different under linux as the driver there can just do writes and not worry about DMA. It wouldn't be too difficult to support the jlx12864 on esp32, but just a different driver.

If you can make these changes let me know, it could be interesting to use this display I just haven't looked at it yet.
Is there a guide or a can you write which steps i need to follow to have the esp32 and screen setup with pypilot ?
with jlx2864 i did not make it working yet.

I just linked my micropython fork which includes a driver for the lcd I am using and it would be possible to modify that to get it working.

Once that is in place you can simply type "make upload" in the pypilot/hat directory once the esp32 is connected by usb.
just to clarify.
you have a display and buttons connected to an esp32 and this is wirelesly connected through wifi to a pypilot server and can control the pypilot over wifi ?

i am looking for a solution to omit the cables for the screen and the buttons to tinypilot.

Thank you
yes, it does that.