This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autopilot remote hack
I finally found a pinout today to control my ancient Autohelm 4000 by a relay board. I'm sure wired remotes of other autopilots could also be reverse engineered.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/...68163.html

If controlling with a wireless remote isn't enough fun, I'm considering tying it into openplotter via relays, since I have the hardware for that on hand.

I expect it's a quantum leap from simply controlling GPIO to pulse a relay to sailing to a waypoint, correcting a cross track error, or steering an apparent wind course based by pulsing +/- 1 or 10 degrees, but one can dream!
A quick Google hinted that the Autohelm 4000 supports NMEA 0183 input, is that correct?
All you need then is an USB-NMEA0183 dongle and OpenCPN can control your AP?
Regards, 
Arne :-)    
S/Y Tiarora
The Autohelm ST4000 supports nmea 0183, however the older Autohelm 4000 units (before Seatalk) did not.

I don't suppose there is a way to send a waypoint to a GPS USB module and have it spit back the XTE. Then tinker with node red to make course corrections.

(I do have a small Garmin chartplotter but that would be cheating).