This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCPN 4.6 on OpenPlotter
Hi all,
I just finished compiling OpenCPN 4.6 and installing it over the existing 4.4 version on OpenPlotter 8.

It seems to work fine - even perhaps a little snappier than 4.4. After I got the base directory correct ("/usr" instead of the default "/usr/local") it seemed to slot in quite nicely over the top of 4.4, and it uses the existing plugins and settings from 4.4.

So far, no bugs that I can see, but of course testing is in the early stages. 

Is anyone else using 4.6 on their PI, and if so, have you had any problems?

My compiled version is a fairly large DEB (about 90M), as I included the full version of the GSHHS model, but I would be happy to make it available to anyone who wishes to try it. Keep in mind I'm not smart enough to include the menu additions in the DEB, so if you install it without the previous installation of 4.4, you won't have a desktop icon or a menu entry, you'll have to create those yourself.

PM me if you want a Dropbox link to the DEB.

Andy
OpenCPN 4.6 is now officially released so it is included in the apt-get update.
So upgrade should happen together with standard upgrade process.
Hummm, didn't happen for me. I'll have to give it another shot.

Nope, not upgrading to 4.6 automatically. Has anyone else had any luck getting OpenCPN to upgrade to 4.6 using apt-get? Am I missing a PPA perhaps? I did all this work on a fresh OpenPlotter 8.0 image.
(2017-03-21, 02:45 PM)abarrow Wrote: Hummm, didn't happen for me. I'll have to give it another shot.

Nope, not upgrading to 4.6 automatically. Has anyone else had any luck getting OpenCPN to upgrade to 4.6 using apt-get? Am I missing a PPA perhaps? I did all this work on a fresh OpenPlotter 8.0 image.

Upgrade worked fine in my v0.9.0 - PPA below..

pi@openplotter:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
#deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu/ trusty main
That's what I have, but 8.0 didn't upgrade. Perhaps it's time to move my test v09.0 instance into production? I thought it was still alpha.
(2017-03-21, 10:56 PM)abarrow Wrote: That's what I have, but 8.0 didn't upgrade. Perhaps it's time to move my test v09.0 instance into production? I thought it was still alpha.

Odd,   don't think the openplotter version would make any difference?  

I just tried again & it was fine ->

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo apt-get install  opencpn
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
opencpn is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
pi@openplotter:~ $

pi@openplotter:~ $ apt-cache policy opencpn
opencpn:
  Installed: 4.6.0-0~trusty1
  Candidate: 4.6.0-0~trusty1
  Version table:
 *** 4.6.0-0~trusty1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu/ trusty/main armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

After a  recent sudo apt-get update ,  sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo apt-get dist upgrade

What do you get from "apt-cache policy opencpn" in the command line? 
I have no idea what is causing it not to upgrade. I just did a clean NOOBs installation of 8.0, ran apt-get dist-upgrade then had a look at opencpn. Still 4.4. Finally, I did apt-get purge opencpn*, and tried again to install opencpn with just apt-get install opencpn (and also apt-get install opencpn=4.6.0). Just the plain apt-get got me back to 4.4, and the one with the version couldn't find the correct version. I checked again, and the opencpn PPA is definitely installed.

So, I went to the PPA directly and downloaded version 4.6.0-trusty1. It installed fine, using dpkg -i. Plugins and gshss also installed fine.

Apt-cache policy now shows this:
apt-cache policy opencpn
opencpn:
Installed: 4.6.0-0~trusty1
Candidate: 4.6.0-0~trusty1
Version table:
*** 4.6.0-0~trusty1 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
4.4.0-0~trusty1 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/nohal/opencpn/ubuntu/ trusty/main armhf Packages

Weird.

Unfortunately, I didn't try apt-cache policy before I upgraded. I guess I could go back again, but I have to head over to the boat this morning and spend stupid amounts of money repairing the engine (as opposed to piling my money on the floor here in my office and setting fire to it).

As my wife would say, "Whatever..."

Thanks for the help.