This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAIANA AIS transponder fully integrated in OpenPlotter
Interesting where this thread is going Smile

I also know the Spanish case so I have to agree with MigGat. If you have ever entered a Spanish port, you have surely seen that there are most Belgian and Polish flags and very few Spanish ones. Now you know why.

In addition to this, the Belgian administration recently tried to solve this obviously irregular situation and changed the legislation to grant Belgian flags only to residents. And what have the Spanish sailors done? they have submitted complaints to the Belgian government instead of trying to change the Spanish legislation because they know that corruption in Spain is structural and nothing can be done.

What I mean by this is that maybe certifications make sense in the civilized world but in certain countries you are forced to try to "avoid" or break the law and once broken it does not matter how you do it.

Having said that, I do not know how the MAIANA users profile is in USA and CA but I can say that in EU there are of course private users but most of them are companies and even some government entities.