This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAIANA AIS transponder fully integrated in OpenPlotter
(2022-03-20, 04:36 AM)Grrreg Wrote: My Maiana is working (32bit OS) well at home now.  It takes some time to get a fix and some more time to find ships.
It sends my information but I have not a way of verifying that it is getting out there. The receive led lights only for a short pulse on receive. GPS led steady on when it has a fix and transmit led steady on when transmit is enabled.

I set mine up today, on OP2.  It was quick to get a fix, in fact, 18 satellites, where my GlobalSat BU-353 only had 10.  It took a few mins to get 3x AIS targets that were 1.4 - 2 miles away.  I did not get anything else, but there were not many other targets around - one at about 2 miles, but heavily built up area and no guarantee that the target is transmitting and not just uploading position (I was using Marine traffic to check).  the next nearest that was transmitting was 17nm away - I did not get this one.

it did take a little while before my position was broadcast or at least published by Marine Traffic.  Not sure if that was an issue with my transmit distance or just marine traffic publishing it - I wonder if Marine traffic makes sure something is real by not publishing until it has 

there are a couple of things that may be better specified in the literature:

1.  I was expecting the OP Maiana App to find the vessel info from Signal K - I already had provided MMSI, Vessel name, LOA, Beam etc. - could the app get this info from Signal K?
2.  I did not know the lengths needed to be in round meters - a warning would be useful, either in the docs or something better than "Invalid LOA"

I can make an edit if necessary?

Messages In This Thread
RE: MAIANA AIS transponder fully integrated in OpenPlotter - by Techstyle - 2022-03-21, 04:59 AM