This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a question about IMUs
I have a question about IMUs. Nowadays, many IMUs come with built-in sensor fusion using Kalman filters, such as the Mbientlab-MetamotionR IMU. If I'm obtaining angular rate data from the gyroscope, how does the built-in sensor fusion work in this case? Typically, when I integrate angular rate to get the angle of rotation, there's a risk of drift in the measurement.
You're asking if the roll rate is derived directly from the Gyro, from a filter applied to the Gyro, or some calculation based on the absolute orientation determined by the Kalman filter? I can't imagine why you wouldn't derive it from the Kalman filter if you're already running one. In the case of the sensor you mention, the onboard Kalman filter produces a CorrectedAngularVelocity value.

It's worth mentioning, in the Openplotter ecosystem, sensor fusion is performed on the Raspberry pi by an instance of Pypilot, so if you're interested you can always have a look through the Pypilot repo.