This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OpenPlotter 3 roadmap
Brick 
A new Raspberry Pi OS version based on Debian bullseye is published and this means that we have to publish a new OpenPlotter version too. We tough this transition would be fast and we were happy because some important changes were waiting for a major revision, but the Devil is in the details and we found some problems soon that must be fixed to move on. No big issues, just more time consuming than expected. I will try to do some planning here and comment on some changes.

One of the most important thing is that we have a new mantra: no docs, no app. That means that this time we get really serious with documentation and no app will be released without being fully documented.

OpenPlotter 3 official images will be 32-bit and 64-bit.

GREEN means stable.
ORANGE means beta.
RED means in progress.

1. Write general chapters in docs: Description and Getting Started
  2. OpenPlotter Settings app
  3. OpenPlotter Signal K installer app
  4. OpenPlotter OpenCPN installer app
  5. Release of alpha docs
  6. MILESTONE: Release of 32 and 64 bit alpha versions for testers
  7. OpenPlotter AvNav installer app
  8. XyGrib
  9. OpenPlotter Serial app
  10. OpenPlotter CAN app
  11. OpenPlotter Network app
  12. OpenPlotter Notifications app
  13. OpenPlotter MAIANA AIS Transponder app
  14. OpenPlotter Dashboards app
  15. MILESTONE: Release of stable versions for OpenPlotter Starting and OpenPlotter Headless
  16. OpenPlotter Pypilot app
  17. OpenPlotter I2C app
  18. OpenPlotter GPIO app
  19. OpenPlotter SDR VHF app
  20. Complete documentation
  21. MILESTONE: Release of stable versions for OpenPlotter Starting, OpenPlotter Headless and OpenPlotter Touchscreen.
  22. OpenPlotter IoB app

OpenPlotter 3 Docs stable: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io
OpenPlotter 3 Starting stablehttps://cloud.openmarine.net/s/mxrBi5K7zRj2gDq
OpenPlotter 3 Headless stablehttps://cloud.openmarine.net/s/dynLaCPMfoo6PT9
OpenPlotter 3 Touchscreen stable: https://cloud.openmarine.net/s/Xtd4cYkcixKxFLw

I will notify updates on this thread...
Thanks Sailoog and all those working on openplotter 3. I'm looking forward to the beta release - unless I can help in earlier stages?

Paul
Great to hear! Thanks for all the hard work and an awesome product!
(2022-01-18, 04:29 PM)Paul M Wrote: Thanks Sailoog and all those working on openplotter 3. I'm looking forward to the beta release - unless I can help in earlier stages?

Paul

Help with code and docs is always wanted and appreciated.

docs are really time consuming because English is not our first language. Maybe if I create the index of a chapter adding also the screenshots, somebody could "fill the gaps" with the text and save us a lot of time. I would send a link for a functional image to test the app.
(2022-01-18, 08:31 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2022-01-18, 04:29 PM)Paul M Wrote: Thanks Sailoog and all those working on openplotter 3. I'm looking forward to the beta release - unless I can help in earlier stages?

Paul

docs are really time consuming because English is not our first language. Maybe if I create the index of a chapter adding also the screenshots, somebody could "fill the gaps" with the text and save us a lot of time. I would send a link for a functional image to test the app.

Sailoog,

I could help with the Docs as well
Now that I have up-to-date catalan translations, i will start writing docs too Smile
(2022-01-18, 08:31 PM)Sailoog Wrote:

Paul

Thanks happy to help wherever I can!

Paul
Ill be happy to help where I can as well.
(2022-01-19, 11:24 AM)MigGat Wrote: Now that I have up-to-date catalan translations, i will start writing docs too Smile

Heart Heart Heart
I really appreciate your help guys, thinking about how to organize a test round and documentation work...

I have been testing the updates on the Raspberry Pi OS 64bit running on a Raspberry 4 8GB and I am really impressed by performance. I have not found many problems on this 64 bit beta version (you need to update all packages to fix some important issues) so thinking seriously about parallel development of OpenPlotter 32 and 64 bit... I will try to set the test round for both systems so you can evaluate.