This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OpenPlotter 3 roadmap
I've just installed the official headless x64 image. First impressions are good - I was surprised to see most of the apps (including OpenCPN) already preinstalled out of the box.

One thing that surprised me, the SignalK "Set System Time" plugin is preconfigured to set the time every 60s. Was this intended? Previously it defaulted to 0, to set time at startup.
I don’t know for sure, but on a different thread we discussed setting up an NTP server for a local network, using a RPi, SignalK, and the plugin. Sailoog decided he could easily add that as a feature to Openplotter. You can find it in the settings app. However, for a NTP server to be accurate, the time needs to be adjusted regularly, so I bet Sailoog made the change to accommodate the NTP server.

I’m sure you can set it back to “0” and turn off the NTP if you don’t need it.
I have downloaded and installed the openplotter headless on a pi 4 b.
On the raspi imager I have chosen a different username than pi, but the SignalK server won't start.
Is a different username supported? Or should I stick to "pi"?

Thanks in advance
(2022-07-10, 01:37 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Upgrading between Debian releases (eg buster to bullseye) is absolutely not recommended.

Do not use OP 2, wait some days for OP 3. There is not an easy way to update OP 2 (buster) to OP 3 (bullseye), now you know why Smile

I'll start fresh with one of the OP 3 images. I don't mind manual work to get historical data and lots of tweaks preserved, rather than starting from a blank OP 3 slate needing to reconfigure everything - SK, dashboards, Grafana, etc. Is there any recommended path or documentation to bring over settings and data from OP 2 (buster) into OP 3 (bullseye)?
(2022-07-25, 07:51 AM)Slovak Wrote: I'll start fresh with one of the OP 3 images. I don't mind manual work to get historical data and lots of tweaks preserved, rather than starting from a blank OP 3 slate needing to reconfigure everything - SK, dashboards, Grafana, etc. Is there any recommended path or documentation to bring over settings and data from OP 2 (buster) into OP 3 (bullseye)?

signalk you can save settings in the server menu - backup/restore (better not to include apps) , save node-red flows as well if you have any. Google tells you how to export grafana dashboards. Doesn't take very long to migrate to a new setup.
(2022-07-25, 09:31 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2022-07-25, 07:51 AM)Slovak Wrote: I'll start fresh with one of the OP 3 images. I don't mind manual work to get historical data and lots of tweaks preserved, rather than starting from a blank OP 3 slate needing to reconfigure everything - SK, dashboards, Grafana, etc. Is there any recommended path or documentation to bring over settings and data from OP 2 (buster) into OP 3 (bullseye)?

signalk you can save settings in the server menu - backup/restore (better not to include apps) , save node-red flows as well if you have any. Google tells you how to export grafana dashboards. Doesn't take very long to migrate to a new setup.

Agree. I was up and running in about 15 - 20 minutes.
(2022-07-20, 09:12 PM)TVR Wrote: I've just installed the official headless x64 image. First impressions are good - I was surprised to see most of the apps (including OpenCPN) already preinstalled out of the box.

One thing that surprised me, the SignalK "Set System Time" plugin is preconfigured to set the time every 60s. Was this intended? Previously it defaulted to 0, to set time at startup.

yes, that is intentional. The "Set System Time" plugin takes time from the GPS and sets the system time because our OpenPlotter will not have internet when sailing. Setting the time only at startup it is not enough to be sure you gave GPS signal.
(2022-07-21, 06:33 AM)SCarns Wrote: I don’t know for sure, but on a different thread we discussed setting up an NTP server for a local network, using a RPi, SignalK, and the plugin. Sailoog decided he could easily add that as a feature to Openplotter. You can find it in the settings app. However, for a NTP server to be accurate, the time needs to be adjusted regularly, so I bet Sailoog made the change to accommodate the NTP server.

I’m sure you can set it back to “0” and turn off the NTP if you don’t need it.

"Set System Time" plugin and NTP can coexist without problem.
(2022-07-24, 07:39 PM)pacman Wrote: I have downloaded and installed the openplotter headless on a pi 4 b.
On the raspi imager I have chosen a different username than pi, but the SignalK server won't start.
Is a different username supported? Or should I stick to "pi"?

Thanks in advance

after signal k server installation, a systemctl service is created and you need the user there. If you change the user "pi" you just need to re-install signal k and the systemctl service will be overwritten with the new user.

In the near future you will be able to set the user and lots of parameters before requesting customized images that will be built on the fly: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....a-la-carte
(2022-07-25, 07:51 AM)Slovak Wrote:
(2022-07-10, 01:37 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Upgrading between Debian releases (eg buster to bullseye) is absolutely not recommended.

Do not use OP 2, wait some days for OP 3. There is not an easy way to update OP 2 (buster) to OP 3 (bullseye), now you know why Smile

I'll start fresh with one of the OP 3 images. I don't mind manual work to get historical data and lots of tweaks preserved, rather than starting from a blank OP 3 slate needing to reconfigure everything - SK, dashboards, Grafana, etc. Is there any recommended path or documentation to bring over settings and data from OP 2 (buster) into OP 3 (bullseye)?

You will not find any recommended method or doc to manually update from buster to bullseye because it is not a good practice. You will only find some experiments but they are strongly discouraged for production and unsafe to sail. There is a lot of things to change and update and it will take you longer than re-configuring from scratch.