This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serial GPS and I2C Compass
Hi guys!

I have a GPS module with built in compass. It's a serial GPS unit and used I2C as the compass.

I can get GPS working no problem, but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the I2C onboard compass working.

The unit has 6 wires, power, TX and RX for gps serial and SDA and SCL for compass 

An i2cdetect 1 -y returns one positive device at 1b.

Any ideas?

Thanks
BUMP please help im super stuck.
I remember posting here a few years back with the same issue before giving up the goose, another issue with compass support. It seems this issue is avoided in OpenCPN now for some time. Not sure if there are problems getting compass integration working, but no one has ever been unable to provide an answer to my issues with compass support.

How is everyone else using compasses with OpenCPN?

Thanks
(2022-01-21, 09:12 AM)deanfourie Wrote: I remember posting here a few years back with the same issue before giving up the goose, another issue with compass support. It seems this issue is avoided in OpenCPN now for some time. Not sure if there are problems getting compass integration working, but no one has ever been unable to provide an answer to my issues with compass support.

Thanks

What model gps/compass is it?

The 'HDT' nmea0183 heading message works fine in opencpn
(2022-01-21, 09:29 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2022-01-21, 09:12 AM)deanfourie Wrote: I remember posting here a few years back with the same issue before giving up the goose, another issue with compass support. It seems this issue is avoided in OpenCPN now for some time. Not sure if there are problems getting compass integration working, but no one has ever been unable to provide an answer to my issues with compass support.

Thanks

What model gps/compass is it?

The 'HDT' nmea0183 heading message works fine in opencpn

Well I dont think im getting any HDT messages. I think its a UBLOX chipset cant tell you exactly what model yet, but it has six wires, 2 are power, 2 are TX/RX (GPS) and 2 are SDA/SDL (Compass). I cant get the heading working at all in OCPN. So, am I going down the right track in thinking this should be a compass connected via I2C or should I be looking more at getting HDT messages from the GPS itself?

Thanks for your reply.
(2022-01-21, 09:44 AM)deanfourie Wrote: Well I dont think im getting any HDT messages. I think its a UBLOX chipset cant tell you exactly what model yet, but it has six wires, 2 are power, 2 are TX/RX (GPS) and 2 are SDA/SDL (Compass). I cant get the heading working at all in OCPN. So, am I going down the right track in thinking this should be a compass connected via I2C or should I be looking more at getting HDT messages from the GPS itself?

Thanks for your reply.

Heading is unlikely to come from the GPS, it will give you course over ground but not which way the boat is pointing. Getting I2C messages into signalk might be a bit more involved, sorry can't help with that. Does it show up in the i2c openplotter app?
https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/2....c_app.html
I will have a look there, but I did do a i2cdetect 1 -y on the PI in CLI and it shows in there. If I remember correctly there used to be really limited support for I2C sensors.
So I checked I2C settings tonight, Yes it shows at an I2C address but again, none of the devices in the dropdown are compasses or even compass related, they are all Pressure or current sensors.

So since 2 years ago when I tried this, nothing has changed. Still there are no I2C supported compasses.

This leads me to my next questions, what is everyone else using as a compass to get a heading?

Cheers
(2022-01-22, 09:12 AM)deanfouri Wrote: This leads me to my next questions, what is everyone else using as a compass to get a heading?

Cheers

One of these, also on ebay.  >
https://pypilot.org/store/index.php?rt=p...uct_id=129
(2022-01-22, 11:56 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2022-01-22, 09:12 AM)deanfouri Wrote: This leads me to my next questions, what is everyone else using as a compass to get a heading?

Cheers

One of these, also on ebay.  >
https://pypilot.org/store/index.php?rt=p...uct_id=129

Thanks, so does this give you direction heading in OpenCPN?

Also how did you add it in the settings?

Cheers