This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinypilot computer Pi Zero communicate waypoints with Pi 4 ? ?
Hello,

i just purchased a complete Tinypilot computer with weather sensor and high amp controller from the store and love what i see so far. I had no issues bench testing everything, also added the Davis 6410 Anemometer. 

What is my best way forward to connect the Tinypilot to a chartplotter? Can a nema0183 port be added to the Raberry Pi Zero to receive GPS waypoints?

I am also thinking about buying a Rasberry Pi4 to run openplotter. What would be the best way (if even possible) to have the Rasberry pi4 and the Rasberry Pi Zero running Tinypilot to communicate with each other?

I know i could buy the HAT for the Rasberry 4, but like the idea of redundancy and the fact that i could always run the autopilot individually on the pi Zero with much low power consumption.

Please let me know if a similar discussion exists, i could not find this topic anywhere.
Hey Roedel welcome to the forum.

The tinypilot can receive waypoints (APB or RMB messages) through wifi on TCP socket 20220. So if you put openplotter (opencpn) on a raspberry, and connect a gps to it, you are in business. This is what I have running as well. In fact, there are even more modern ways to send the waypoint s to pypilot (through signalk), but the bottom line would that a pi4 with openplotter/opencpn would be a good investment that integrates well with pypilot.
(2022-01-26, 09:41 AM)ironman Wrote:  Hi Ironman, thank you!

I just ordered a pi4 to start experimenting, they are sold out everywhere.

Thank you also for the input regarding SignalK, this seems to be the way forward.   signalk-server 

I am sure i will have questions regarding the setup, i am pretty good with electronics but i am a total rookie when it comes to Rasberry and Ardunio. Mod please keep this thread open for a while  Cool
You can connect the two most easily with wifi.   From there you can use nmea on port 20220.   signalk is supposed to work automatically but you have to grant write access to pypilot from the signalk control panel (in a web browser)

It does not exactly send waypoints over signalk at this time though.   In fact pypilot does not care about waypoints; it only cares about the bearing to use which is in the nmea APB message.
Hi Sean, thank you! Much appreciated!