This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lowest power memory -
Just started having  a look at external memory for charts & influxdb storage, using grafana it seems a cheap  usb/memory card draws the least extra power, usb memory stick a bit more & usb sdd drive more again. 

Will try to be a bit more precise later but just wondering if anyone else has done this already? Or any other low power options other than buying 64gB sd card for the OS? Needs space for music collection & charts, 64gB just big enough. 

Running a Pi Zero 2 which stays on all the time so every mA counts........
(2022-02-05, 03:25 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Just started having  a look at external memory for charts & influxdb storage, using grafana it seems a cheap  usb/memory card draws the least extra power, usb memory stick a bit more & usb sdd drive more again. 

Will try to be a bit more precise later but just wondering if anyone else has done this already? Or any other low power options other than buying 64gB sd card for the OS? Needs space for music collection & charts, 64gB just big enough. 

Running a Pi Zero 2 which stays on all the time so every mA counts........

Hi PaddyB

There was a really interesting article about low power pi work here:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/12/09/...nsumption/

There is a LOT more to it than the storage option.  It is possible to get a PI zero (with some work) to be still usuable at a fraction of the power consumption.  If you are using it headless - a quick win is disabling the openGL and the other video (bit more work in Bullseye)
hope that this gives you some ideas.  I just bought an extra 75 Amp hr deep cycle battery.  I will just switch it to the alternator periodically Wink 
(2022-02-07, 07:39 PM)Finbar J Wrote: Hi PaddyB

There was a really interesting article about low power pi work here:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/12/09/...nsumption/

There is a LOT more to it than the storage option.  It is possible to get a PI zero (with some work) to be still usuable at a fraction of the power consumption.  If you are using it headless - a quick win is disabling the openGL and the other video (bit more work in Bullseye)
hope that this gives you some ideas.  I just bought an extra 75 Amp hr deep cycle battery.  I will just switch it to the alternator periodically Wink 

Thanks for the link, already read (though I had a larger current increase when using HDMI) & lots more from google... 
it's data on the 3 options mentioned above which would be interesting, but influx/grafana & a little time testing will do that  Cool