This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10" RPi 4 waterproof Plotter
Hi guys,

end of summer 2021 i have found some very nice tablet style enclosures from the company Altinkaya in Turkey.
Two different sizes, suitable for 7" and 10" displays. I got 3d step models without problems and started some placement
tests with downloaded models of RPi 4b, original RPi 7" display and so on.

You can find the enclosures here:
https://www.altinkaya.eu/90-tablet-enclosures

I have found out that the standard RPi 4 will fit into the housing if you mount it face down to a 1.5 mm aluminium sheet
that is mounted to the domes of the front part of the enclosure. Sure i have to cut away the material around the usb connectors
but it fits:

[Image: d5e7f783b6_album.jpg]

[Image: dc3e488a8c_album.jpg]

The display is the same i used two years ago for my first 10" display. I have presented this design at Boot 2020 tradeshow
in Dusseldorf/Germany. Because of Corona and its impacts the project was stopped unfortunately.

For 2022 we (the open-boat-projects team) planned a booth again and so i started to build two chart plotters based on the
original 7" display, the 10.1" 1000 nits display and the enclosures from Altikaya. The idea was to avois custom parts so that
everyone can buy the parts on alibaba or ebay and build up his own plotter.

Of course someone needs to cnc the enclosure and mounting plate for you and if you want to have it waterproof you need
the front film, double sided glue film and so on. Our plan is to do a bulk order for displays, enclosures and custom parts
for everyone that is interested.

All the pcbs i have added are not necessary. You can go with cheap dc/dc converters, a power button and all the add-ons you like.
The enclosure has a lot of space so you can fit in a lot of stuff.

I created two pcbs for convinience. A keyboard pcb to control the HDMI-Board, provide some buttons for zoom, panning, mouse
emulation and an ir-receiver for my remote control. And a power/interface pcb that provides 12 -> 5V dc/dc, NMEA 2k, 2 W audio
ampliifier and on/off logic for the power.

[Image: a7a6354f9a_album.jpg]

This shows the keyboard of the 7" plotter but the one for the 10" will look similiar:

[Image: c442f674e3_album.jpg]

Unfortunately the Boot 2022 tradeshow was cancelled again. Phew, and now? We all decided to continue working on the projects
that we wanted to show there. So i did. The first two prototypes are shipped to friends in the sailing forum (www.segeln-forum.de)

It turned out that the enclosures are complete waterproof! For the Loudspeaker i used a patch material for outdoor jackets or tents
and for the enclosure a simple ring of 1 mm NBR rubber band. The plotter survives 30 mins submersed under water without
any drop of water inside!

[Image: 40ae44d3c1_album.jpg]

[Image: 1796eff8e1_album.jpg]

The base of the construction is a mounting plate of 1.5 mm aluminium. I have powder coated it with RAL2005 jet black. Yes, it looks
more like a graveyard for nuts and bolts but it works:

[Image: 54ee78bc04_album.jpg]

The display is glued to the front of the sheet using double sided tape. All the pcbs are mounted using
bolts and screws. The cabling currently is a bit ugly, this can be made better. But it needs some attention
to the pcbs, i have to change some connectors to avoid soldering completely.

[Image: 465069550f_album.jpg]

This 'cooling finger' takes the heat of the cpu to the aluminium frame. I have measured the effect on the 7"
design and with a lousy bended piece of aluminium you can achieve -15 degrees. Thats not that bad.

[url=[Image: a475ecbcb0_album.jpg]]

Everything needs a name so we named it 'Magellan'. This is the first prototype:

[Image: 52f1ea33ff_album.jpg]

There are several things to do, the front film is inkjet printer + spraycan only, the enclosure will be black later,
the keyboard pcb is not finished and the power pcb needs a redesign but it does not look so bad at the end.

Basic features:
  • 1288 x 800 IPS LCD, 1000 nits
  • capacitive touch, optically bonded
  • HDMI - LVDS controller, 4 buttons for brighness/menu etc.
  • standard RPi 3b and 4b compatible
  • buttons for pan, zoom, mouse emulation
  • IR receiver with I2C interface
  • NMEA 2k interface based on MCP2515
  • NEO6 GPS connected to internal com port
  • Power supply 5 V@3A
  • Power on/off logic with shut down (1 mA)
  • 2 W I2S audio amplfier with 3 W loudspeaker
  • fully waterproof, submersible for short time
Cheers,
Chris
I've been using OpenPlotter on and off for a while now, and I think this was my single worst pain point: how to get OP in the cockpit, at the helm. I've tried building my own enclosure around a Pi and a resistive touchscreen, but that didn't work out very well. My current plan is to use a tablet at the helm next summer (running OpenCPN), we'll see how that goes.

Thank you for working on this.
(2022-02-07, 12:18 AM)BellaX Wrote: Hi guys,

end of summer 2021 i have found some very nice tablet style enclosures from the company Altinkaya in Turkey.
Two different sizes, suitable for 7" and 10" displays. I got 3d step models without problems and started some placement
tests with downloaded models of RPi 4b, original RPi 7" display and so on.

You can find the enclosures here:
https://www.altinkaya.eu/90-tablet-enclosures

I have found out that the standard RPi 4 will fit into the housing if you mount it face down to a 1.5 mm aluminium sheet
that is mounted to the domes of the front part of the enclosure. Sure i have to cut away the material around the usb connectors
but it fits:

[Image: d5e7f783b6_album.jpg]

[Image: dc3e488a8c_album.jpg]

The display is the same i used two years ago for my first 10" display. I have presented this design at Boot 2020 tradeshow
in Dusseldorf/Germany. Because of Corona and its impacts the project was stopped unfortunately.

For 2022 we (the open-boat-projects team) planned a booth again and so i started to build two chart plotters based on the
original 7" display, the 10.1" 1000 nits display and the enclosures from Altikaya. The idea was to avois custom parts so that
everyone can buy the parts on alibaba or ebay and build up his own plotter.

Of course someone needs to cnc the enclosure and mounting plate for you and if you want to have it waterproof you need
the front film, double sided glue film and so on. Our plan is to do a bulk order for displays, enclosures and custom parts
for everyone that is interested.

All the pcbs i have added are not necessary. You can go with cheap dc/dc converters, a power button and all the add-ons you like.
The enclosure has a lot of space so you can fit in a lot of stuff.

I created two pcbs for convinience. A keyboard pcb to control the HDMI-Board, provide some buttons for zoom, panning, mouse
emulation and an ir-receiver for my remote control. And a power/interface pcb that provides 12 -> 5V dc/dc, NMEA 2k, 2 W audio
ampliifier and on/off logic for the power.

[Image: a7a6354f9a_album.jpg]

This shows the keyboard of the 7" plotter but the one for the 10" will look similiar:

[Image: c442f674e3_album.jpg]

Unfortunately the Boot 2022 tradeshow was cancelled again. Phew, and now? We all decided to continue working on the projects
that we wanted to show there. So i did. The first two prototypes are shipped to friends in the sailing forum (www.segeln-forum.de)

It turned out that the enclosures are complete waterproof! For the Loudspeaker i used a patch material for outdoor jackets or tents
and for the enclosure a simple ring of 1 mm NBR rubber band. The plotter survives 30 mins submersed under water without
any drop of water inside!

[Image: 40ae44d3c1_album.jpg]

[Image: 1796eff8e1_album.jpg]

The base of the construction is a mounting plate of 1.5 mm aluminium. I have powder coated it with RAL2005 jet black. Yes, it looks
more like a graveyard for nuts and bolts but it works:

[Image: 54ee78bc04_album.jpg]

The display is glued to the front of the sheet using double sided tape. All the pcbs are mounted using
bolts and screws. The cabling currently is a bit ugly, this can be made better. But it needs some attention
to the pcbs, i have to change some connectors to avoid soldering completely.

[Image: 465069550f_album.jpg]

This 'cooling finger' takes the heat of the cpu to the aluminium frame. I have measured the effect on the 7"
design and with a lousy bended piece of aluminium you can achieve -15 degrees. Thats not that bad.

[url=[Image: a475ecbcb0_album.jpg]]

Everything needs a name so we named it 'Magellan'. This is the first prototype:

[Image: 52f1ea33ff_album.jpg]

There are several things to do, the front film is inkjet printer + spraycan only, the enclosure will be black later,
the keyboard pcb is not finished and the power pcb needs a redesign but it does not look so bad at the end.

Basic features:
  • 1288 x 800 IPS LCD, 1000 nits
  • capacitive touch, optically bonded
  • HDMI - LVDS controller, 4 buttons for brighness/menu etc.
  • standard RPi 3b and 4b compatible
  • buttons for pan, zoom, mouse emulation
  • IR receiver with I2C interface
  • NMEA 2k interface based on MCP2515
  • NEO6 GPS connected to internal com port
  • Power supply 5 V@3A
  • Power on/off logic with shut down (1 mA)
  • 2 W I2S audio amplfier with 3 W loudspeaker
  • fully waterproof, submersible for short time
Cheers,
Chris

cool project .... do you have prices and availability for the case ?
s/v Patience - We gain freedom when we have paid the full price.........
Hi ews,

you can buy them on the Altinkaya Website directly. The number is HH-2084, actually EUR 6.03 without tax.
They do not accept PayPal because of local restrictions but payment via credit card is no problem.

I have found another distributor: www.maszczyk.pl/
They are a bit more expensive but you can pay via PP and shipping to the EU is without additional tax and duty.

Chris