This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Updated image of Tinypilot
Hi Sean,

I love your work and purchased your pilot some months ago.
Do you plan to update your Tinypilot image anytime soon to benefits of your recent improvements ?

Thanks a lot !
There is a more recent image from 2021:
https://pypilot.org/images/

Otherwise, please be patient, I do intend to release updates in the future.
Hi Sean

Would you say that upgrading from Git is not a viable option? I have tried to follow the instructions set out elsewhere in these forums without success. I had to revert back to the 2021 image every time.

Kind regards
(2022-03-14, 04:23 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: There is a more recent image from 2021:

Thanks a lot, I hadn't found this image. I will try it imediately.

Best regards
(2022-03-14, 04:23 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: There is a more recent image from 2021:

Hello Sean,

Thank you for the link to the image but what should we do to update the arduino of the hat ?

Kind regards
(2022-03-15, 02:17 PM)Andre Wrote: Hi Sean

Would you say that upgrading from Git is not a viable option? I have tried to follow the instructions set out elsewhere in these forums without success. I had to revert back to the 2021 image every time.

Kind regards
You can upgrade from git.   If you have problems can you post the errors or explain the issue?

(2022-03-15, 10:02 PM)Jean-Marc Douroux Wrote: Hello Sean,

Thank you for the link to the image but what should we do to update the arduino of the hat ?

Kind regards

To update the arduino on the hat, you can simply type "make upload" from the directory with the sketch, however this won't work under tinypilot as it requires avr toolchain.
The best way to update the hat arduino firmware is to build this firmware on a standard Linux box ('make' inside arduino/hat), then copy the generated hat.hex to the rasbperry inside ~/.pypilot directory.

Then simply reboot (or sv restart pypilot_hat) and the firmware should be updated (look at logs inside /var/log/pypilot_hat/current).

However, I experienced errors while updating if my JLX display is connected during the update (they share the same SPI bus and there are probably some concurrent accesses to both devices). I planned to look into this but haven't got to it yet. Meanwhile, if you disconnect the display firmware updating will work.
Hello Sean,

Also are there release notes somewhere about these unofficial versions of tinypilot?

Kind Regards,
I can verify you can update the firmware with the display attached.. I always do this using "make upload" from pypilot/arduino/hat directory. You must be sure not to be running any pypilot or other processes which access the spi bus.

As for unofficial versions.. not really besides on this forum. If you mean the image from stelian which supports the pi4 and pizero 2? I am bogged down with boat projects and trying to fulfill orders from my store is like treading water which leaves me little time/energy. I do have big improvements planned and and a few algorithms implemented recently (although not well tested)
Hi Sean,

Regarding the firmware update: of course if you 'sv stop pypilot_hat' first, then 'make upload' will work.

I was talking about the code in hat/arduino.py that should allow automatic verify/upload if a new firmware is put inside ~/.pypilot/. This code does not work, unless you physically remove the display. It can probably be fixed by doing the verify/upload step before starting the ugfx work, and as I said, looking at this is on my TODO list...