This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get a daily track distance log?
Hi All,

I'm trying to get a log of the distance travelled in the last 24 hours. Ideally a rolling 24 distance log from the GPS track.

I can get the total output from an nmea 0183 water speed sensor, which outputs a total log but this sometimes resets itself and is quite inaccurate.

If the track data is there for display on freeboard, then it should be possible to get the distance traveled in the last 24 hours. 

I would want to display it in the grafans dashboard. Perhaps it's possible to do it with an influxdb query in grafana directly?
Seems like you could do it in Grafana, or at lease have it get position reports and then display them on a map.

There are a couple of "logging" plug ins, I believe, that should do you what you want. I know SailLogger, which I use, does this from "boat moving" to "boat stationary" perspective. Check the AppStore, as I seem to remember a couple of logging plug ins in there.

Also, OpenCPN can do this, if you are also using that. Just have to remember to "Enable Tracking", but that's not an automated thing. Pretty sure there's a suitable solution. Check the AppStore in SK.
Not quite what you want but opencpn can create 24h tracks from midnight each day with total distance & average speed.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.p...ship_track
Thanks for the replies! 

@Scarns So the plugins I've tried so far are Trip Logger, which only records a value of zero constantly, and two others SailCloud, and SailLogger which are cloud based, and so not much use in the middle of the ocean with no connectivity. 

It may be possible with some influxdb query in grafana, if there's some kind of track data, but deriving that information from GPS positions would clearly be too much for that.

@PaddyB
I'd like to plot a rolling daily mileage based on GPS data, for the last 24 hours in grafana. OpenCPN is great, but as my pi 4 with 8Gb ram is already quite heavily loaded with multiplexing and data logging I run it headless and don't use it for openCPN. Thanks in any case for pointing that out, I didn't realise that the daily tracks also kept some averages! 

The reason I would find this information useful, is that for long passage it would help with planning, to know what is a reasonable expectation of daily progress for a given forecast. If you can say that this boat can usually do 140 miles a day mostly broad reaching, you can be pretty accurate about passage times. I find this is often more accurate than trying to be overly technical with polar charts and all the tweaking that requires.

I will try and find time to try and write a plugin myself, and so if anyone has any pointers on where to start I'd appreciate it. It seems like the track API that is used in freeboard would be a good place to start. Perhaps it would be better as as extension to the derived_data plugin.