This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMS alerting
So, I want to replace a SMS-based alarm system I currently have in my boat with Openplotter, but am finding there isn't any SMS options in OP V2.
I need to send SMS messages based on GPIO states, to issue alerts for certain conditions.
I know I played with this in an older version of OP, but now the feature is gone. Indeed, the entire functionality to detect/control GPIO states and do script execution based on various thresholds and conditions appears to have been removed.

I am finding 2+ year old threads saying this will be included in a coming IoT app, which I see in OP V2 Installer but appears not to have been released yet.
Is there any release date for the IoT app?
Or is there some other way to do this?
(2022-04-01, 07:28 PM)ottow Wrote: So, I want to replace a SMS-based alarm system I currently have in my boat with Openplotter, but am finding there isn't any SMS options in OP V2.
I need to send SMS messages based on GPIO states, to issue alerts for certain conditions.
I know I played with this in an older version of OP, but now the feature is gone. Indeed, the entire functionality to detect/control GPIO states and do script execution based on various thresholds and conditions appears to have been removed.

I am finding 2+ year old threads saying this will be included in a coming IoT app, which I see in OP V2 Installer but appears not to have been released yet.
Is there any release date for the IoT app?
Or is there some other way to do this?

Pretty sure that IoT for OP2 is not going to happen. Looks like it is planned for OP3 though, but it is far down the list.
For Verizon for example, you can send a payload in Node-red via your email to your phone number's SMS.  

From the Verizon website:  https://www.verizon.com/support/text-messaging-faqs/

You can send a message to any Verizon mobile number from your email:

1. Compose a message as if you were sending a standard email.

Note: Your message must be 160 characters or less, including the subject line and recipient's email address.

2. In the To field, enter the 10-digit mobile number of the recipient followed by @vtext.com (e.g., 9495551212@vtext.com).

Note: You can also include an attachment, like a picture or emoji. However, in the To field, enter the 10-digit mobile number of the recipient followed by @vzwpix.com (e.g., 9495551212@vzwpix.com), instead of @vtext.com.

3. Send the message.
You've successfully sent a text from your email.

Here's a basic node-red flow to try to send SMS.  Just search your provider to see if its possible to do it via email if you don't have Verizon.

Code:
[{"id":"0b14ac9ae891f101","type":"tab","label":"Flow 2","disabled":false,"info":"","env":[]},{"id":"8e66f8b6f680e46a","type":"inject","z":"0b14ac9ae891f101","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","x":430,"y":360,"wires":[["bbfab3fcb21b03af"]]},{"id":"903c0195947f5259","type":"e-mail","z":"0b14ac9ae891f101","server":"smtp.gmail.com","port":"465","secure":true,"tls":false,"name":"##########@vtext.com","dname":"To SMS","x":880,"y":360,"wires":[]},{"id":"bbfab3fcb21b03af","type":"function","z":"0b14ac9ae891f101","name":"","func":"msg.payload = \"Hello!\";\nreturn msg;","outputs":1,"noerr":0,"initialize":"","finalize":"","libs":[],"x":670,"y":320,"wires":[["903c0195947f5259"]]}]