This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rudder feedback potentiometer range
(2022-04-08, 01:46 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I cannot just add resistors to the design.  It would be bad for the hall sensor which draws a constant 13 milliamps.   It would reduce resolution in other cases.   It is better you add resistors if you need them for now.   Eventually, if there is a controller specific for a particular actuator or something it could make sense.

Ok, I understand.

An empty footprint (or populated with a 0ohm resistor) could be a solution but it may just not be worth it.

And, once I'll manage to actually mount the tiller drive on my boat, I may find that I don't even need the whole range, and I could limit the rudder angle in software, so I'll never encounter those problems...
With your 1Volt reference your rudder reading could be very sketchy because the power wires are not shielded from the sensor wires, the different currents to the drive probably will pul up or down the voltage a bit.
To be clear, the voltage is always in the 0-5 volt range from the sensors and on the wires. It is divided down only on the motor controller to the 0-1.1v range on the lower power motor controllers.

Using a shielded wire could help reduce interference, or keeping the wires apart. It would be interesting to give evidence that powering the motor affects the rudder feedback voltage, and if so this can perhaps be compensated.
I didn't see any kind interference here, but I've only done a few bench tests. We'll see how it behaves during the next few months, in real usage.
If you find any interference or not please post it! More information would help make better suggestions rather than assuming shielded cable is required.

Eventually perhaps analog rudder reference could be considered susceptible to noise and pwm or digital could be preferred. In any case, the rudder reference is always at 5 volts, only the divider to 1.1v is on the smaller motor controller to put it in range for the adc there.