This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Poll: Polar Implimentation
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
80.00%
8 80.00%
No
20.00%
2 20.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polar Plotting
Hi All,

Given the fact that if the OP is connected to the boats NMEA network, it is getting all the data it would need to generate polars....

Has anyone achieved this?

Thoughts are;

Add USB memory for data gathering, that runs in a cycle that you can set? eg 1gb of data overwriting the oldest when full.
Use the wind angle, wind speed, boat speed etc to generate a set of polars to the boat.
Add notes to the data so that you can make reference to sail plan, car positions etc.

Would others think this valuable?
I of course vote yes to any new gadget, but I believe the priorities the Openplotter team have charted out are more important than new frills.

I believe it was on Github that there was a very early discussion about Openplotter and Polars, and a fellow volunteered code he had developed, but this was a long time ago.

Also, there is a Polar plugin for OpenCPN, and perhaps more appropriately, a project for SignalK.

https://github.com/joabakk/signalk-polar-graphing
That would be my code. Has anyone tested it with openplotter?