This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i2c for Openplotter 3.x
Hi there,

before someone starts to flam me, this is not asking for ETA nor the status of development for Openplotter 3.x and related apps. 
I mentioned this in previous thread. I'm really new to everything. Just started sailing, Raspberry PI, Linux, etc. etc. etc. 
I thought installing Raspberry PI Bulleseye is a good decision for being "future proof" and doing the set-up only once. 
Read all the documents and roadmap and understood that "all" core applications are already ported for Bulleseye. 
So now I bought the BMP280 sensor and surprise surprise i2c is on the list but not ready.
My question is to the once in charge:

- Would you recommend to switch back to Raspberry Buster (I think this is the previous version)
- or should I stay with Bulleseye and wait for a couple of weeks?
- is there any performance difference between Buster and Bulleseye?

Thanks and I highly appreciate all your contributions, ojessie
Hello @ojessie. I'm not the one in charge (at all Big Grin ), and a year ago I was in your exact same spot. 

I would advise you to stick to Buster+OP2 because:

- It has all the features that you need today PLUS the ones you might need (and you still don't know).
- It's widely tested and pretty much everyone around here is using that version, so there's shared experience when you experience some troubles (you will, and we will help you).
- There's no way to know when OP3 will be ready for beta, and when it is, it will still need to be tested thoroughly before it reaches a release stage. I wouldn't want to be beta-testing something I'm familiar with, because you might never know if there is a bug, or just misconfiguration.
- Related software (not included in OP distributions) MIGHT NOT be ported to Bullseye yet.
- As for perfomance, there is some improvement indeed, but depending on your use cases, you might not even notice it.

I understand the reasoning behind getting "the last possible version", since ideally that would mean longer time until you need to update, compatibility with newer devices etc, but sadly the FOSS world always implies certain balance, and you should only choose the last version of anything (alfa,beta) if (and only if) you're willing to be more involved than a standard user.

That's just my opinion anyway!
Hello MigGat,

Thanks these are really strong arguments. Highly appreciate. Finally I agree I'll switch back to Buster and OP2 it seems it's definitely easier for a beginner like me to get started.

Best, ojessie
Well, running into another problem.
Tried to install OP 2.x on my Raspberry PI4 and running into loops during installation. Error message: This board requires newer software .....

start elf not compatible ....

Can anyone help?
OP2 does not boat in some new RPI4 boards, I am afraid you need to wait.