This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PcNautec or make my own?
I am considering buying a PcNautec Auto pilot I can see they are based on PyPilot.
Has anyone got any reviews? How reliable is it?
i contacted them last year and got a response in a day.  Now I have sent my specs to buy and in a week I have had no response, not reassuring.  I tried calling and there was no answer.

The other option is to make my own, I have a old Nautec-Autohelm, and can borrow the arm as control head becoming unreliable (I believe the internal compass is failing).

However reading the how to build guide, I fear that for me PyPilot would be a long project. How long does your average build take?

I am not incompetent on computers but have not been near programming for near 30 years. Dos Basic, Fortran77.  Practical I can be I can work through problems, I am not one for soldering.

As I see it I have a tiller Ram, I need user interface, control panel, sensors and motor controller. Then suitable box’s for the above.

All advice appreciated even if it’s not to build and look at off the shelf…

I have searched the forum but found little on PcNautec but see one member is/ was involved,
Just going to add PCNautec on holiday last week. So looking at them for autopilot, however reviews appreciated.
Yes, sorry Pcnautic was closed one week do to Holiday! 
Are you Gerrit?
(2022-05-08, 11:52 PM)OneSea Wrote: However reading the how to build guide, I fear that for me PyPilot would be a long project. How long does your average build take?

It took me surprising little time to get something working. Though this is with a Pi4 full openplotter installation, using openplotter settings to install the PiPilot. You don't need much , mpu compass, arduino nano & motor controller - I goit a ibt-2 off ebay. Then very little set up, I had it being controlled with opencpn on tablet, opencpn on laptop & web page on any device in a couple hours, no programming required though I had to jump through some hoops as the arduino was a cheapo clone, not a real one. 
Most of the time will be wiring. 
Also, Sea sells the bits - https://pypilot.org/store/

Good luck getting a Pi!! 
https://rpilocator.com/
We’ll order is placed with Onno, I will let you know how I get on.