This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buffered Data and idea for Failover
Hello,
as the ship is connected to the WiFi of the harbor I send all the data from OpenPlotter to my Server.

It would be nice to buffer the data if the ship has no Internet connection and send it as one bulk transfer to the server if back in the harbor.

Data:
  • some NMEA0183 streams (mainly AIS)
  • data from BME280
  • several Zigbee sensors
The other thing is that the raspberry pi 'get lost' sometimes and I cant reach it anymore until I restart everything by power it off and on again.

I try to prevent this with a daily cronjob now:

Code:
0 3 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r now

Does somebody have a better solution?
Is there a better way to solve this "remote and offline at some times" problem?

muebau
What about some sort of watchdog cron job that pings an external server every 5 minutes or so?
A good idea. I would need to disable it if on sea, but anyway.

Do you have an idea regarding the 'buffer'?
That's something that would take some thought, but I would think it would be do-able. You would need to have something on the shore end to receive the data, instead of a continuous stream. Grafana might be something to investigate.
This really depends on how you send your data to the server and what you want your server to do with the data.

Just store the data in files? Write local data files and rsync them to your server.

Write them to a cloud db? Use mqtt with local buffering. (I don’t think there is a plug and play solution to this).
Ok to make this clear, I thought about a message queue framework (like RabbitMQ, etc.) already.

The type of communication combined with the 'buffer' is exactly what messages queues do.

My intention was more to ask here to prevent me of inventing something already existing.

On the server (on shore) runs the complete stack of InfluxDB, Grafana, etc. and on the ship runs a stack of NodeRED combined with things like AIS, Zigbee2MQTT, etc..

My stream of data is mixed and is stored in a InfluxDB (on shore) at the moment.