This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discovering Version 3
WWAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!! Smile Cool Wink Heart Heart Heart
Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah !
Congratulation to Sailoog and whole Dev Team !
What a beautiful and promising job Exclamation. It is again faster and smoother  
It works like a charm or should I say like a breeze ?
As we say in Britany : Merci braz ! (big thanks).
To get the boarding stamp, the Pypilot, SDR VHF and I2C Sensors APs are still awaited.
But, as is, it gives an excellent 'look and feel' taste. Can't wait !

I suggest to post hereafter all observations and remarks (even low level) related to this latest release ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Minor remarks :
  • No "charts" dir in 64b img
  • Connections failed to be created in OpenCPN. (in Serial, i used connection to GPSD which declares that a connection to signal K is created if needed, no error message, looks OK in SignalK,  but no connections at all in OpenCPN !
    I had to create them manually :
  1. (Network, SignalK, localhost, 3000, Priority 1, No discovery,
  2.  and : GPSD,  localhost, Port 2947, Priority 0.
  • gpsd-clients are well present and work perfectly : xgps, gpsmon -n, and cgps -ls . In previous debian versions had missed a library (and consequently ubuntu and raspbian ! )

... / ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

- the "charts" directory is now created by OpenCPN when you install o-charts

- OpenCPN connection was never created in previous versions in GPSD, just signal k. You do not need to set a connection to GPSD in OpenCPN, you need just the connection to Signal k

thanks for testing
(2022-05-23, 07:01 PM)Sailoog Wrote: - the "charts" directory is now created by OpenCPN when you install o-charts

- OpenCPN connection was never created in previous versions in GPSD, just signal k. You do not need to set a connection to GPSD in OpenCPN, you need just the connection to Signal k

thanks for testing

1 - The connection to GPSD is needed to let user benefit from :
- GPSD clients
- the GNSS status in the dashboard display
- the NMEA window in the "Connections" pannel.
- more generally it allows to share the GNSS data between users
Opening both SignalK and GPSD connections (the latest with a priority set to "0"  to avoid any loop) allows to reach these benefits.
In version 2, making a connection to GPSD automatically created (silently) another connection to SignalK. It was not the case in V3 beta ...

2 Chart directory created by installing o-charts : I could'nt find how to install o-chats. Please, could you give a clue ?
Cordialement
Didier B

I am afraid I have to insist. If you have a GPSD connection and a signal K connection in opencpn you are duplicating data. The priority only works for NMEA 0183 data (GPSD) and not for Signal k data.

In openplotter 3 using the serial app to set a GPSD connection, the GPSD and the signal k connection are created automatically, not the opencpn connection.

I mean the o-charts plugin used to install oeSENc or oeRNC charts (not free). Anyway, the charts folder will not be created in OpenPlotter images by default.
(2022-05-24, 06:25 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Hi Salilog, my input in blue in your text

I am afraid I have to insist. If you have a GPSD connection and a signal K connection in opencpn you are duplicating data. The priority only works for NMEA 0183 data (GPSD) and not for Signal k data. That the very purpose of GPSD : duplicate GPS Data so that they can be provided to various users. The data flow to SignalK ignores NMEA data, therefore neither  the NMEA window nor the GNSS status (in dashboard) can be populated. I don't mean it has to be like that, this is just my way to do it ...

In openplotter 3 using the serial app to set a GPSD connection, the GPSD and the signal k connection are created automatically, not the opencpn connection. Noted

I mean the o-charts plugin used to install oeSENc or oeRNC charts (not free). Anyway, the charts folder will not be created in OpenPlotter images by default. Noted, but let me know how can I install oeSenc plugin in OpenCPN 5.6.2 (in V3) ?
Cordialement
Didier B

oeSENC and oeRNC plugins have been unified and replaced by the new o-charts plugin. o-charts plugin is only available for 64bit if you install OpenCPN from flatpak. In 32bit there is o-charts plugin for openCPN installed from PPA

This could change soon but it will take some time: https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/issues/2694

I do not recommend to license o-charts for openplotter 3 yet unless you have a dongle.