This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panic button, take-over switch
I want to make a take-over switch to manual steering in case of panic.
(rpi 4, pypilot latest update, 3.5 inch touchscreen gpio, motor ino set to vnh2sp30: ina to D2, inb to D3, pwm D9, rudderfeedback D4=D5=ground so 5 volt setting for hallsensor, hydraulic 24 volt steering pump with faults for manual steering pump)
As i read no need to end stop rudder switches because the feedback and calibration. 
So can I use D7 and D8 by relay's switch to the ground to end motor steering and take-over to handsteering??
Or is there a better way? Just switch off the power of the arduino nano and pump? Huh
(2022-05-30, 11:24 AM)ReinierD Wrote: Or is there a better way? Just switch off the power of the arduino nano and pump? Huh

That's what I did. A simple manual switch, placed at the helm, shutting off power supply to the motor controller. This releases the solenoid valve, allowing the hydraulic fluid to bypass the pump, and I can get instant manual control of the rudder. 
Actually, in normal operation, it takes about 2-5 seconds from the moment I deactivate the AP, until the clutch is released. If you don't know about this, you can get pretty stressed during this waiting time. Is there a way to reduce this time in the settings?
it is better to not change/rely on software for this, so use hardware switches that disconnect the clutch.

I will look in the delay in releasing the clutch. 5 seconds seems long. Can you test it some more?
My plan for this is to include a kill switch (like the kind found on outboards), complete with lanyard, in series with the solenoid circuit. Maybe there's a more elegant place for it, but that would be sure-fire. Simply yank the lanyard to take over control.